VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

Basically what it says in the title. Was just about rounding up installing all the games I wanted in my Win98SE build but the latest setup installations were interrupted by the "disk full" message with still 13,8GB to go. I realise that I wouldn't be able to go all the way to 80GB but 13,8GB free space is still a lot for an OS like Win98SE right?

Am I missing something or do I need to change some settings? Thank you for all your help and replies

Reply 1 of 3, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many installers show the "full disk" message when they're unable to write to disk, for ANY reason. I'd check permissions, perform a CHKDSK and check the disk surface.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 2 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a limit on the number of files with long names that you can store in the root directory, if that's where you've been dumping your files.

If you are trying to copy a file larger than 4 GB, then that may also trigger the error.

Reply 3 of 3, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote on 2020-12-01, 20:16:

Many installers show the "full disk" message when they're unable to write to disk, for ANY reason. I'd check permissions, perform a CHKDSK and check the disk surface.

Jorpho wrote on 2020-12-01, 22:26:

There is a limit on the number of files with long names that you can store in the root directory, if that's where you've been dumping your files.

If you are trying to copy a file larger than 4 GB, then that may also trigger the error.

Indeed the ScanDisk forced a kind of "refresh" on the disk capacity indicator, and now it correctly displays that I only have 300mb left on the disk

Thank you very much for your help and replies!