VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've been trying to save BMPs in GIMP that will be compatible with Windows 9x as wallpapers and I can't seem to find what color depth and mode I need to use.

Any help please?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-12-04, 09:29:

Just stick with 24-bit and don't bother with RLE (run-length encoding).

I think I've tried this and it did not work. I even tried at 16-bit and it still failed.

Windows 98 sees the BMP but when I choose it in Desktop Properties it doesn't show up. I can however open it in Paint. Re-Saving in Paint doesn't work. Interestingly opening it in IrfanView and re-saving works.. 😒

Here are the BMP Save As options in GIMP:

GIMP BMP.png
Filename
GIMP BMP.png
File size
19.12 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Maybe I should try the "Do not write color space information" option?

Reply 3 of 15, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That´s weird. I´ve made wallpapers with GIMP and they work. Although, I exported them as *.jpg, you might want to try that. Also, test different resolutions and set it as wallpaper straight from your picture.

Reply 4 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-12-04, 11:00:

Interestingly opening it in IrfanView and re-saving works.. 😒

Seems to me the obvious step is to do a binary compare before and after saving, and see what changes. I think I use FrHed for that.

Reply 5 of 15, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

in worst case save the BMP over original in Irfanview, it always produces correct format.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 6 of 15, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2020-12-12, 08:49:

in worst case save the BMP over original in Irfanview, it always produces correct format.

This is what I always do but it is an annoyance. How GIMP can not produce a Win9x compatible BMP eludes me still..

Reply 8 of 15, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it really necessary to use BMP format in Windows 98 ?
With that "Active Desktop" (mis)feature, I would expect it to also support common WWW formats, like GIF and JPEG.

Edit: but then there would still be some compatibility problems - can't expect 90s software to support modern JPEG variants...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 9 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-12-12, 09:53:

This is what I always do but it is an annoyance. How GIMP can not produce a Win9x compatible BMP eludes me still..

Did you try the binary compare already? I imagine it's a matter of one or two bytes in the file header or something.

Reply 11 of 15, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2020-12-12, 12:19:

Is it really necessary to use BMP format in Windows 98 ?
With that "Active Desktop" (mis)feature, I would expect it to also support common WWW formats, like GIF and JPEG.

Active Desktop would probably be overkill if all you want is to have a nice wallpaper (I don't know, I never used it myself). Simply converting the image you want into a BMP file that Windows can handle should be less of a hassle, assuming you don't want to change the wallpaper every five minutes. Even Windows XP didn't have native support for JPEG wallpapers. Sure, it would allow you to select a JPEG, but it would silently convert it into a bitmap file and then use that bitmap file instead of the JPEG. Run regedit and check "HKEY_CURENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop" if you want to know which file Windows is actually using as your wallpaper. The "Wallpaper" entry is what you're looking for.

Reply 12 of 15, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
K1n9_Duk3 wrote on 2020-12-15, 00:16:

Active Desktop would probably be overkill if all you want is to have a nice wallpaper (I don't know, I never used it myself). Simply converting the image you want into a BMP file that Windows can handle should be less of a hassle

I thought it would be less of a hassle to let Windows do the conversion, instead of using some modern software where writing 9x-compatible files isn't straightforward.

I just did some experiments with 98SE, and:
- it does support GIF, JPEG, PNG
- when setting such a wallpaper for the first time, it displays that such formats are only supported with Active Desktop, and asks whether to enable Active Desktop

Now I'm lost - I always thought that Active Desktop is enabled by default.
But if not, then what's the reason Windows 98 is so much slower than 95 ?

Last edited by Grzyb on 2020-12-15, 11:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 13 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2020-12-15, 04:10:

Now I'm lost - I always thought that Active Desktop is enabled by default.
But if not, then what's the reason Windows 98 is so much slower than 95 ?

If you're comparing Windows 98 to the original release of Windows 95, then Windows 98 has IE4 integrated into the shell regardless of whether Active Desktop is enabled.

Reply 14 of 15, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jorpho wrote on 2020-12-15, 05:17:

If you're comparing Windows 98 to the original release of Windows 95, then Windows 98 has IE4 integrated into the shell regardless of whether Active Desktop is enabled.

OK, looks like I misinterpreted the term "Active Desktop" - I thought it was mostly about that integration of MSIE into the shell.

Reply 15 of 15, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Grzyb wrote on 2020-12-15, 06:53:

OK, looks like I misinterpreted the term "Active Desktop" - I thought it was mostly about that integration of MSIE into the shell.

Removing the IE4 shell integration requires 98lite from https://www.litepc.com/98lite.html , which in turn requires files from a Windows 95 installation (depending on how thorough you want to be). But this is getting off-topic.