VOGONS

In-game audio using Daemon Tools with BIN/CUE images

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by EpsilonP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I am having some issues with in game audio playing properly while mounting BIN/CUE images in Daemon Tools v 3.47

Searching through the forum there appear to be several threads on the subject, but there doesn't seem to be a generally agreed upon fix for the issue.

I am trying to run Quake II on WIn95OSR2.5 with SB Live! CT4620 and Directx 7 installed. The sound effects in game work fine, but there is no audio soundtrack.

Solutions attempted -

-Made sure that Analog Audio in Daemon Tools is ticked
-Made sure that the mounted image is the lowest letter drive after C, in my case D
-Attempted to 'play' the mounted CUE image in Winamp. I am able to play the tracks.

Does anyone have any ideas what else to try and check for?
Some people in other threads mentioned installing a secondary sound card - if anyone is familiar with this, could they please elaborate?

Unfortunately I can't install an optical drive in this machine - it's a modern case with no optical bay, so CD emulation software is currently the only option.

Reply 1 of 17, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you enabled Digital Audio Playback for the virtual device? https://support.dynabook.com/support/viewCont … ontentId=435389

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 2 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you already play sounds in different applications simultaneously? For instance, when you're playing the mounted .cue in Winamp, can you play a sound in Sound Recorder or Media Player?

If you can't, then there's really nothing you can do except get a different sound card, or at least a different sound card driver. In some cards the necessary functionality is only available in WDM drivers, in which case you'll have to switch to Windows 98SE. (There really aren't very many good reasons to be using OSR2.5 anyway.)

EpsilonP wrote on 2020-12-04, 16:13:

Some people in other threads mentioned installing a secondary sound card - if anyone is familiar with this, could they please elaborate?

You could perhaps do that instead - I think there's somewhere in Daemon Tools where you can configure which sound card is used for CD audio playback.

Reply 3 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you don't want to use Daemon Tools you can convert the soundtrack to OGG and use:

Q2DOS http://dk.toastednet.org/Q2DOS/
or
KMQuake2 v0.20 with update 6 (tested on Vanilla 2000 so might work on 95)

You might be able to use a CD drive with Windows 95 via USB or just pop open the case and connect a CD drive to troubleshoot if it's a Daemon Tools issue.
https://msfn.org/board/topic/177518-xusbsupp- … indows-95-osr2/

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 17, by EpsilonP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions

@bregolin - I have no such option under device properties.

@Jorpho - Yes, I was able to play the mounted CUE image in Winamp and another MP3 in Windows Media at the same time.
As far as two sound cards go, do you think two sound cards of the same model would cause an issue?
Windows 95 is a nostalgia mandated requirement for this build ;]

@DosFreak - Thanks for the link, you've managed to fix the USB functionality on my system - I have pretty much given up on USB and WIndows 95, yet..it's working now.
I can now connect an external CD drive and it is recognized by Windows. After inserting the Quake II CD I can browse to it, run an install and all of that, but trying to play the contents in Winamp, as I've tried with the CUE image does not work. Tracks are listed and are appearing to be playing, but no sound coming out.

Reply 5 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EpsilonP wrote on 2020-12-05, 03:46:

Windows 95 is a nostalgia mandated requirement for this build ;]

Then I hope you find dealing with obscure, frustrating technical issues to be part of the "nostalgia". (Not that 98SE is entirely devoid of those.)

I can now connect an external CD drive and it is recognized by Windows. After inserting the Quake II CD I can browse to it, run an install and all of that, but trying to play the contents in Winamp, as I've tried with the CUE image does not work. Tracks are listed and are appearing to be playing, but no sound coming out.

CD-ROM drives usually have to be connected to the sound card with a separate cable in order to get CD audio to work. (Some really old drives had separate 3.5 mm jacks.)

Reply 6 of 17, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

redBook-audio from mounted images is a never ending story...there is no "final" solution for that.
wdm-audio-drivers on 98(se) do help, but thy do not always lead to a success.
I never tested those "_inn.dll's" yet, but I doesn't expect them to be "the" solution.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 7 of 17, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EpsilonP wrote on 2020-12-05, 03:46:

@bregolin - I have no such option under device properties.

Imho, digital audio playback is only available with WDM drivers.

If you use the VXD drivers it probably won't work with Daemon Tools. Tried that and wasn't able to get it working on my SB Live Value.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 9 of 17, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought there was a thread a while ago where it was established that WDM drivers are not always necessary for playback using Daemon Tools? If the card can play sounds from two sources simultaneously, I would have thought that would be enough. I'm inclined to believe the problem lies elsewhere.

Reply 10 of 17, by EpsilonP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tested two other titles that use CD audio during gameplay - Quake and Frogger.

While mounted in Daemon Tools, Quake music works in game.

Frogger music does not work in game..but starts playing after I exit the game.

Quake II still no music in game at all.

I've tried adjusting the slider in dxdiag under Hardware Sound Acceleration Level, but that seemed to have no effect. Also checked the creative mixer to make sure nothing is muted.

I'm really not sure what else to try with this, am tempted to take a dremel to front panel of the case and cut out a hole for an actual cd drive =/

Reply 11 of 17, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some titles work, some don't.

On Frogger please test this: play the game and use the task-switcher "alt-tab" normally the game will still work but you go to the desktop and let me guess...music is working, going back to the game the music is muted.

Doc

Reply 13 of 17, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no solution for this, but I think that is has to do with who has the control over the sound card.
On WDM there is no "exclusive" access, so every program can use it, on vxd it's perhaps only one,
but there must be at least two different ways how to play red-book from mounted images, that's
why some games work, some don't.

Doc

Reply 14 of 17, by EpsilonP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you think trying the dual sound card setup would make sense in this case? I'm thinking if I pointed Daemon Tools to use a specific sound card for 'cd playback' and then connect that card to line in port on the other card, the sound should work in theory. But based on the experience with this so far who knows.

Reply 17 of 17, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EpsilonP wrote on 2020-12-04, 16:13:
Hi all, […]
Show full quote

Hi all,

I am having some issues with in game audio playing properly while mounting BIN/CUE images in Daemon Tools v 3.47

Searching through the forum there appear to be several threads on the subject, but there doesn't seem to be a generally agreed upon fix for the issue.

I am trying to run Quake II on WIn95OSR2.5 with SB Live! CT4620 and Directx 7 installed. The sound effects in game work fine, but there is no audio soundtrack.

Solutions attempted -

-Made sure that Analog Audio in Daemon Tools is ticked
-Made sure that the mounted image is the lowest letter drive after C, in my case D
-Attempted to 'play' the mounted CUE image in Winamp. I am able to play the tracks.

Does anyone have any ideas what else to try and check for?

Unfortunately I can't install an optical drive in this machine - it's a modern case with no optical bay, so CD emulation software is currently the only option.

The problem is DirectX 7.
For some reason it does not play nice with Daemon Tools and "In-Game" CD Audio Soundtracks.

Solution = upgrade to DirectX 8/8.1 , or downgrade to 6/6.1.

For me, upgrading from DX 7.0a to 8.1b fixed this exact problem in "Disney's: Hercules" and "Carmageddon 2".
I've tried EVERYTHING before i did the DirectX thing, and nothing worked.

P.S. Also it comes without saying that the virtual cd drive needs to have the letter D:\ assigned to it.
You can use "Letter Assigner" to re-assign different letters to other HDDs/partitions you may have, in order to free up the letter D:
Download from here: Re: Do you play games off of their CDs?