VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello...
I just finished a socket 462 build and wanted to use it as a XP platform. Directly after OS installation there are occuring some questions... Maybe it doesn't matter... Maybe it does...
I don't intend to use the PC for online actions - so I think a virus scanner isn't needed... But what about things like net framework or so... There are some programs (like catalyst) that need them.
Sry if this was discussed before.

So in summary: what additional software is needed after an XP installation - except the drivers?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 7, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I install the latest version of .net but I don't remember going in further than that. Most appliacations will install any distributable libraries they need, so usually you don't have to worry about it.

Reply 2 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm also a minimalist when it comes to updates. On a clean XP build I've just done I've got .net 2.0 probably due to catalyst and Visual C++ 2010 Which I think the SB-XFi drivers installed.
but in IMHO less is more so only install such things if something pops up saying it requires it.

My XP builds usually get WMP11 and IE8 but that's personal taste more then a requirement

Edit re additional software file archiver and virtual CD drive of your choice (in my case WinRAR and Dtools lite) are the only other applications I install across all machines

Reply 3 of 7, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-12-31, 10:39:
I'm also a minimalist when it comes to updates. On a clean XP build I've just done I've got .net 2.0 probably due to catalyst an […]
Show full quote

I'm also a minimalist when it comes to updates. On a clean XP build I've just done I've got .net 2.0 probably due to catalyst and Visual C++ 2010 Which I think the SB-XFi drivers installed.
but in IMHO less is more so only install such things if something pops up saying it requires it.

My XP builds usually get WMP11 and IE8 but that's personal taste more then a requirement

Edit re additional software file archiver and virtual CD drive of your choice (in my case WinRAR and Dtools lite) are the only other applications I install across all machines

Almost same here... Except wmp and ie

How about CCleaner? Yes or no? And why?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes wmp and IE are more to complete the retro feel then actually use.

Don't see the point of ccleaner now that its no longer a daily driver, clearing out internet, windows updates and the registry after software updates or uninstalls was important back then sure.
But now as a offline retro box its configuration should be pretty static. Any applications you do install will probably be the one and only version and as above hardly any updates means registry should remain clean.
No internet to dump loads of unnecessary files.
About the only change is install/uninstalling games, but even then depending on disk space you may just install all your games and be done with it

Reply 7 of 7, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lazar81 wrote on 2021-01-01, 10:20:
hwh wrote on 2021-01-01, 10:13:

On SP3, nothing.

At least net framework is needed for my gpu control center.

Seeing as you already mentioned that in the first post, and it pertains to specific software you wish to use that tells you what to install with it, I didn't repeat that back to you.