VOGONS

First post, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all, whenever running Blood (with Plasma Pak) installed on a DOS 6.2 (not 6.22) system with 2GB of RAM (Computer uses this in Windows 2000), the sound effects work fine but the midi music fails to play. This happens whether it be OPL3 from my SB16 or General MIDI from my SC-55mkii (connected to gameport). Since I heard there were some memory issues regarding the game, I disabled HIMEM and EMM386 along with my Adaptec ULTRA2 SCSI Drivers for my CD-ROM drive. This appeared to let me play OPL3 MIDI without any issues and general midi with a few issues (SC-55 had to be re-initialized to play songs using INIT ALL, didn't have this issue with Dark Carnival Song). However, when re-loading the scsi driver, the issues came back, leading me to believe that the ASPIU2.SYS and/or the ASPICD.SYS drivers are the culprits. My question is how can I get the game to play general midi music with the drivers loaded and without the weird reinitialization midi fix needed. It should also be noted that BLOOD 1.0 would crash with a DOS4GW 06h invalid opcode error (doesn't occur with Plasma PAK update) and that the SC-55 will sometimes display +------------ or NO INSTRUMENT as the first few instruments (This might explain why Dark Carnival works fine). Finally, games such as Rise of the Triad and DOOM work perfectly fine with the drivers loaded and have no issues whatsoever. If anyone knows how I can solve this, please let me know!

Edit: I forgot to mention that all MIDI, regardless of drivers loaded, etc works flawlessly in the setup program.

Last edited by TelamonLivesOn on 2021-01-17, 22:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried it with OUWB as well, but issues were still there with the drivers. Though I haven't tried it without the drivers.

EDIT: The version is 1.11 right now

Reply 3 of 11, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had nearly the same problem (MIDI plays fine in setup, but barely if at all plays during the game), and I can't remember 100% how I resolved this, but the following steps were involved:

- Using either the GOG install or a fresh install from the CD, can't remember which
- Applying the MIDI patch from:
Re: Apogee / 3D Realms - sound driver hacking

Reply 4 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
newtmonkey wrote on 2021-01-18, 01:30:
I had nearly the same problem (MIDI plays fine in setup, but barely if at all plays during the game), and I can't remember 100% […]
Show full quote

I had nearly the same problem (MIDI plays fine in setup, but barely if at all plays during the game), and I can't remember 100% how I resolved this, but the following steps were involved:

- Using either the GOG install or a fresh install from the CD, can't remember which
- Applying the MIDI patch from:
Re: Apogee / 3D Realms - sound driver hacking

This looks promising! I am wondering if it is because of the midi hardware I am using then, along with the scsi driver, which wouldn't pain me to disable when playing blood, unless I use the cd audio track, which wouldn't require midi. I'll try this soon and report back on how it works!

Reply 5 of 11, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It will be interesting to see if that helps. I am wondering if it's a problem with One Unit Whole Blood (which is what the GOG version is based on), as from what I recall the installer only works in Windows so most people probably ran it in DOS mode within Win95 or whatever... there may be some issue with MIDI playback where it works fine in Windows for some reason but not DOS. Another possibility is that MIDI playback was always problematic for this version, but most people didn't realize it because (a) MIDI playback works fine in setup and (b) most people seemed to have used the redbook audio soundtrack.

Reply 6 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so nothing seemed to change, but here is a list of the working songs that I could find on the SC-55 mk2:

Verified Working:
CBLOOD2 (Shipwrecked)
CBLOOD4 (Dark Carnival)
CBLOOD5 (The Great Temple)
CBLOOD6 (Lair of Shial)
CBLOOD10 (Wrong Side of the Tracks)

Edit: It appears that not every song is working on the SB16 either such as E1M3, E3M2, E4M5, E4M6, and E4M7, though there may have been others (Do these maps even have music)?

Reply 7 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now that I think of it, does setting the sound setup to Sound Canvas have any significant differences from General MIDI? As far as I'm aware, it has support for GS and more voices.

Reply 8 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the answer is that blood's MIDIs are poorly written and require the original SC-55 to work right, not the mkII and derivatives. somehow this fact seems oddly overlooked even after all these years, not to mention the AWE32 option playing FM ...

there's been an effort to patch the game here, i never bothered with it as i do have an SC-55 but give it a try and report back if it helps.

Reply 9 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
auron wrote on 2021-01-18, 05:19:

the answer is that blood's MIDIs are poorly written and require the original SC-55 to work right, not the mkII and derivatives. somehow this fact seems oddly overlooked even after all these years, not to mention the AWE32 option playing FM ...

there's been an effort to patch the game here, i never bothered with it as i do have an SC-55 but give it a try and report back if it helps.

Ahhh that would explain it! Its really a shame how awesome blood is but that it suffers from lots of bugs (save game damage scaling, crashes, midi driver issues, etc.). Hopefully I won't have this issue with Duke Nukem 3D.

Last edited by TelamonLivesOn on 2021-01-28, 00:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 11, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do have Blood running fine on my Pentium 133 playing music with a SC-55mkii, so I know it is (somehow) possible to get it working. I just wish I remembered the exact steps I took. I am 99% certain it involved applying the patch mentioned above.

TelamonLivesOn wrote on 2021-01-18, 04:21:

Edit: It appears that not every song is working on the SB16 either such as E1M3, E3M2, E4M5, E4M6, and E4M7, though there may have been others (Do these maps even have music)?

Some maps indeed don't play MIDI music but instead just play ambient sound effects, though I don't remember off the top of my head which levels they are, exactly.