VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can only find two download links for ATI's Rage Dawning demo, created by 3DForge for the Rage 128:

https://archive.org/download/R128Demo/R128Demo.rar

https://soggi.org/video-cards/tech-demos.htm

The Internet Archive version is part of my Windows 98 test kit. I've run it up on lots of systems with lots of different video cards, ATI, Nvidia, and others, and it has always worked - but only on Windows 98. I've never seen it work on Windows XP with any video card or drivers. Failure mode is: double click the executable, nothing comes up, Task Manager shows the program is running but not using any CPU. Windows 95/98 compatibility mode does not help.

I only found the soggi version yesterday but it seems to have the same problem.

I perused this thread and it sounds like folks were able to get the demo working on newer operating systems, but all the download links from 2011 are dead.

Has anyone had success running the Rage Dawning demo on Windows XP? Are there any other versions of the demo floating around that I could try?

Last edited by maximus on 2021-05-17, 16:12. Edited 1 time in total.

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've also got a copy of that demo, not sure which version, though..

I'll check.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote on 2021-02-11, 21:42:

I sourced the same copy from Internet Archive in your 1st link.
It works on WinXP SP3 VM on QEMU perfectly AS-IS on all modern Intel, AMD and NVIDIA GPUs. No compatibility option ever needed.

I get the same results as OP under Windows XP SP3 on bare metal (Core I3 3220T CPU, 4GB RAM GTX 750Ti) . It works fine for me under Windows 10 x64 20H2 .

Reply 4 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'll still look for my copy.

I once ran the demo on an HP Thin Client with Win98SE, by the way.
The TC had a Rage IIc and a Transmeta CPU, I believe.
I had to select the lowest resolution, since the video memory was so tiny.. But it worked. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 7, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maximus wrote on 2021-02-11, 06:22:

I only found the soggi version yesterday but it seems to have the same problem.

That's because it's the same archive, I downloaded it from archive.org, repacked it into a .7z and gave it a proper name.

Please don't post hotlinks to my website, they are not supported - instead post a link to the page containing the download (e.g. https://soggi.org/video-cards/tech-demos.htm).

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 7 of 7, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maximus wrote on 2021-05-17, 16:13:

Fixed. Sorry 'bout that!

Thx for fixing it! 😀

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...