VOGONS

First post, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I am currently trying to install BeOS on my Dual Pentium III 600mhz computer with 512mb of ram installed with BeOS running on a SCSI HDD & CD-ROM. As of the moment, the operating system boots and works for a few minutes, until my PS/2 mouse freezes and cannot be moved whatsoever. However, I use the keyboard keys to move around, proving that the system didn't crash. I also have tried downloading an update file to update BeOS to 5.03 but am met with a "Invalid Package File" error. In addition, when attempting to use Developer Edition 1.1, I am met with the same mouse issue, but also with an IDE-related error upon startup (I can thankfully ignore and skip this, but it is really annoying). This is a really game-breaking issue for me and has caused me to not be able to use BeOS for more than a few minutes. I really love this operating system otherwise and want to be able to use it. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can fix it? Thanks!

Reply 2 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2021-02-12, 21:34:

Does the same issue happen in safemode?

I will check. It usually happens after like 5-10 minutes of inactivity, and sometimes when I am actively using the system.

Reply 4 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try turning off any power saving enabled in your bios.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 5 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-02-12, 22:34:

Try turning off any power saving enabled in your bios.

All power-saving features appear to be turned off. Also, the mouse appears to work perfectly when the video resolution is at 640x480, but not a 800x600 (I am not sure about 1024x768 though). I am wondering if this has to do with VESA issues caused by my Matrox Millennium II Card (it crashes other programs when in 800x600)

Reply 7 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Now I'm just wondering if BeOS hates my video card, or worse, my entire computer. This card has caused me some troubles in the past, but has never caused full system instability. I'm wondering if a 3dfx card, a GeForce, or vice versa would fare better.

Reply 8 of 11, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TelamonLivesOn wrote on 2021-02-12, 21:55:

Ok, it appears to still be functioning in safe mode.

Are you using the Matrox driver included in BeOS?

Try the last one for BeOS from http://rudolfs-place.nl/BeOS/MGAdriver/ instead.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 9 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2021-02-13, 09:59:
TelamonLivesOn wrote on 2021-02-12, 21:55:

Ok, it appears to still be functioning in safe mode.

Are you using the Matrox driver included in BeOS?

Try the last one for BeOS from http://rudolfs-place.nl/BeOS/MGAdriver/ instead.

I don't see the mouse freezing much anymore, but the menus will freeze and lock-up the system. Since this OS is looking like it won't work out for me, are there any other good operating systems (besides DOS and Windows) that are good for both development and games? FreeBSD was really confusing to setup and overall very user un-friendly.

Reply 11 of 11, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lolo799 wrote on 2021-02-15, 11:13:

What is the motherboard you're using?
And could you try running BeOS with less than 512M of RAM?

I'm currently using a Supermicro P6DGH Motherboard. And yes, I can also try lowering the installed RAM, since I have a few spare sticks. If the OS is still unusable, I might as well try NeXtstep, though I don't know where to find an Adaptec AIC-789x driver for it, nor do I know how I would write it to a floppy disk.