VOGONS

First post, by mperu99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently acquired a Compaq 7792CDT that has windows 98 installed, but trying to boot gets a "while initializing device VDD : windows protection error. you need to restart your computer

i dont have the docking station, so no CD rom, but i plan to get a parallel CD ROM and hopefully the floppy drive works. I am looking for the recovery disks, or if someone has this model, if you are willing to create a image (acronis or something) of the drive then i can recover that image to my drive. any drivers would be helpful, any parts etc..

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    164.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 1, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm...that photo looks familiar. Did you recently purchase the machine on evilBay? I swore that there is an auction for something similar...

What do you have in terms of other resources? Asking for an image/recovery disk set doesn’t help - how do you plan to get the image into the machine? The 7792 doesn’t have built-in networking, so it’s not like it can NetBoot out of the box and pull an image from a network mount.

What could potentially help is the following:

A) USB to IDE/IDE44 adapter?
B) PCMCIA CDROM drive?
C) A somewhat modern Windows 7/10 PC with VMWare Player installed? (You’ll need that with item A)
D) Access to a Windows 98 ISO file?
E) A Philips head screwdriver?
F) the Compaq SoftPaqs for the 7792, most likely still on ftp.hp.com under softpaqs

The easiest way to do it:
1) Remove the hard drive from the 7792, plug it into a USB-to-IDE44 adapter
2) Plug that into the USB port on a modern PC
3) Mount the Windows 98 ISO file on the modern PC, then copy the entire Win98 directory off that Virtual CD into the 7792’s hard drive, and whatever softpaqs that contains drivers relevant to the machine. You might want to copy out whatever is inside c:\windows\desktop on the 7792 “just in case”
4) Put the drive back into the 7792, tap F8 repeatedly on boot until it gives you the win98 startup menu, choose command line only.
5) Deltree c:\windows\
6) go to c:\win98, type in setup.exe

It should take care of the rest easily enough.