VOGONS

First post, by mike_canada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I am fortunate to have the latest Tiny Core linux 12.0 installed on my dell wyse VX0 machine and the complete install minus the installer and wifi packages only used 24MB of my 128MB storage.

In the end, I am making this machine a dedicated controller because it has a serial port that connects to my homemade game hardware where as today's computers do not have that port. The nice news is both the wyse and today's computers can connect to the internet.

Soon I'll make software that both controls the hardware and acts as a webserver.

As I eventually will use this in a business setup, I need to focus on quick recovery in case the storage becomes corrupt at anytime. Nothing in a business setting is worse than not being able to serve a customer due to a technical glitch

This is my ideal plan of recovery:

1. Install Tiny Core Linux
2. Start FTP server
3. Upload my software
4. Modify startup configuration so my software starts on every run

If everything goes as planned then the recovery time (business downtime) could be as little as roughly 5 minutes.

But here's the problem... I can't even start the FTP server, but I can ping to google on the wyse.
The FTP server included with tiny core is TFTP and I did click the services button and clicked TFTP until the green box appeared as an attempt to start the server but I could not connect to it from a remote computer that also has internet and is connected to the same LAN.

I could check my router that everything is connected to but I haven't defined any rules.

Other than that, are there any other small linux packages I could try out of the box? I tried "Damn small linux" latest version but couldn't install it because it wants 200MB stoage but I only have 128MB max

Reply 1 of 2, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mike_canada wrote on 2021-02-28, 20:09:

But here's the problem... I can't even start the FTP server, but I can ping to google on the wyse.
The FTP server included with tiny core is TFTP and I did click the services button and clicked TFTP until the green box appeared as an attempt to start the server but I could not connect to it from a remote computer that also has internet and is connected to the same LAN.

TFTP is a completely different protocol from FTP, so if you started something called "TFTP" you were starting a TFTP server, not an FTP server, and you won't be able to connect to it with an FTP client.

You can get a standalone TFTP client. TFTP is commonly used for things like PXE booting and copying firmware onto embedded hardware like routers.