VOGONS

First post, by BurnedPinguin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi vogons. I am trying to make an ms-dos "Swiss Army Knife" as I call it, it's out of necessity because I want to be able to choose what goes on the CD.

Anyway, I intended to use submenus. You would have categories that were displayed on boot, and when you select one you get another menu with all the software related to that category.
But for some reason, I checked many times and I see no problem in my syntax with the submenu commands, but it never works. It just treats the submenu entries are regular parent menu entries and because there is a limit, there is no way I can use one menu for everything.

The Autoexec and Config will be attached, as well as a picture showing what I am describing.

Attachments

• unknown (4).png
    Filename
    unknown (4).png
    File size
    52.34 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    result
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    CONFIG - Copy.txt
    File size
    1.53 KiB
    Downloads
    64 downloads
    File comment
    config
    File license
  • Filename
    AUTOEXEC - Copy.txt
    File size
    1.17 KiB
    Downloads
    54 downloads
    File comment
    autoexec
    File license
Last edited by BurnedPinguin on 2021-03-22, 11:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A quick Google turns up https://web.csulb.edu/~murdock/submenu.html , which states you can only have nine SUBMENU commands per block. You have eleven SUBMENU items in your first block. Perhaps it will behave if you cut that down to nine?

Reply 2 of 4, by BurnedPinguin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did just that by taking some submenu entries out and making a new parent menu entry for those excess ones, still doesnt work, it looks exactly the same in the screenshot above EDIT: Not exactly the same in the screenshot but some entries shifted because I added some for the excess submenus. EDIT 2: The config.sys and autoexec.bat look like this now (see attachments)

Attachments

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's also not entirely clear if the equal sign is necessary for the syntax. See http://web.archive.org/web/20030701054111/htt … elp/submenu.htm (linked from Adding Text to Config.sys for Menus ).

Reply 4 of 4, by BurnedPinguin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I attempted to do something similar to this but still, no dice, config.sys says "submenu" is invalid. EDIT: It does work! This is the solution! Here is an example:

[MENU] 
SUBMENU=TOOLS
MENUITEM=SOMETHING

[TOOLS]
SUBMENU=1
SUBMENU=2

[1]
(junk)

[2]
(junk)

[SOMETHING]
(junk)

Basically, every menu that has a submenu is defined as a submenu and then the actual submenu item goes under the items that the parent menu launches. It's complicated, I can't explain very well, but the example will serve well.

Attachments

• 33.JPG
    Filename
    33.JPG
    File size
    51.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain