VOGONS

First post, by Mouldotron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there everybody

Hoping for a bit of advice. I've got a P3/550 here with Windows 98SE, and two Voodoo2's in SLI. All the usual games work on it (Q2/Unreal etc).

Just got a regular CD copy of Carmageddon (used to love it back in the day!) but I can't figure out how you're supposed to run it in 3DFX mode. There is an exe file called 3DFX.exe but it just crashes on startup, I think it's for DOS only. I tried it in dos mode too but it didn't work.

There is a file called Carma95.exe and that starts the game fine from within Windows but not in 3DFX mode.

Is there like a special patch I need or something? Any help greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 2, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cameggedon requires a patch for 3dfx. You can find it here:

Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

You might need to run in in pure dos mode though. I haven't yet got around to trying it on my voodoo 2 setup.

Reply 2 of 2, by Mouldotron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for replying 😀
I've found the patch carma2.zip and applied the contents to the Carmageddon directory, then booted into DOS mode.

I've run carmav.exe, Voodo2c.exe, voodo2S.exe and 3DFX.exe and they all do the same thing... crash instantly to a black screen of death requiring a cold reboot.

These two cards were given to me by a friend in 2001 and I remember he used to play Carmageddon 1 on these back in the day using 98SE.

I can play it emulated on Steam but zzzzzz, it's so much better to have the real thing...