VOGONS

First post, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

among the many non gaming software that interest me are office suites

many of us know them from our working lives or have encountered them in some form over the years

I have a number of CD's and the like for

MS Office 4.3 for windows 3.1, MS Office(s) 95, 97, 2000, 'XP', 2003, 2010, 2013 for 32 bit windows (so many non core applications have come and gone in the years!)
Lotus Smartsuite 96
Ability Office
StarOffice
various free Office suites from the last 20 years
various individual applications like wordperfect, lotus 123, Dbase 4, quattro, wordstar and various others for DOS

it's like experiencing a museum of office life since 1980's!

one difference with games is that they tend to run on very modest set ups without much in the way of quirks or difficulties

I like to see what their abilities are and how they change. As for usefulness, less so now that everything is online but still i find spreadsheets handy on a computer to quickly use as a kind of overpowered calculator on occasion!

not sure if anyone shares a passing interest in office software, maybe you have some rare stuff or some other types of business / professional software you like?

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a masterful command of Clarisworks 25 years ago. Seems its final form was GoBe Productive, which did have a Windows port, but its IP is hopelessly buried beyond all hope of recovery. Such a pity. But then, I wouldn't have much use for it these days anyway.

Reply 2 of 10, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a small collection of boxed Apps for the 68K and early PPC Mac era plus boxed Apps form the DOS and early Windows 3x era.

One thing I would like to have would be the old engineering apps that required key disks or dongles from the DOS era. Stuff like piping design, CAD, heat exchanger apps etc. I just find that era interesting in how engineers used what would be considered crude utilities to get things made. Vintage speaker design software would be interesting as well.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 3 of 10, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

those details, like knowing the commands of an app inside out, are the ones that fade away sadly. We can use some applications for years then a change of job, new IT comes along, retirement - whatever - and suddenly, almost overnight, all that know how has to be left to one side

old engineering and CAD applications do seem crude compared to today, but were big steps forward back then and it would be great to see them preserved too, well maybe they are and I'm not aware of it

Reply 4 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do like installing Office on my reto rigs,
4.3 for 3x even though I used MS works at the time
97 for Win95 which is what I used right upto 2002
Win98/2k/XP gets 2003 or latest supported (Never liked 2007)

Even though they hardly get used, the fonts, the clipart, its a step back in time. Same as the browser Interface which is why I always install the latest supported version of IE and Win3x also gets Netscape 3
I like old servers as well like the Backoffice suite, I do intend to runup my reto rigs this way one day, even though a image or answer file would be better then limiting yourself to the restrictions of say SMS 1.1 but where is the fun in that?
Other software I'd probably setup to deploy is Acrobat 5/distiller, Cisco VPN (I do have a Pix 501 it could connect to just for fun) Blackberry software? Software that was on just about every office PC in the late 90's

I also want to runup a 2003 SharePoint site with notes on my reto fleet, all running on physical servers of course.
I also have a few old copies of BackupExec (for servers with a tape drive) and PC Anywhere, which I may/maynot setup for Pre XP systems.

Reply 5 of 10, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I miss Works or somethink like that... a stripped down office suite that had only most essential things and ran on really limited resources.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 6 of 10, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-04-08, 11:29:
I do like installing Office on my reto rigs, 4.3 for 3x even though I used MS works at the time 97 for Win95 which is what I us […]
Show full quote

I do like installing Office on my reto rigs,
4.3 for 3x even though I used MS works at the time
97 for Win95 which is what I used right upto 2002
Win98/2k/XP gets 2003 or latest supported (Never liked 2007)

Even though they hardly get used, the fonts, the clipart, its a step back in time. Same as the browser Interface which is why I always install the latest supported version of IE and Win3x also gets Netscape 3
I like old servers as well like the Backoffice suite, I do intend to runup my reto rigs this way one day, even though a image or answer file would be better then limiting yourself to the restrictions of say SMS 1.1 but where is the fun in that?
Other software I'd probably setup to deploy is Acrobat 5/distiller, Cisco VPN (I do have a Pix 501 it could connect to just for fun) Blackberry software? Software that was on just about every office PC in the late 90's

I also want to runup a 2003 SharePoint site with notes on my reto fleet, all running on physical servers of course.
I also have a few old copies of BackupExec (for servers with a tape drive) and PC Anywhere, which I may/maynot setup for Pre XP systems.

yes its a trip down memory lane, as are the carousel of appearing and then disappearing supporting applications that came with various versions of office over the years. I tend to install acrobat reader, IE 6, directx 8 and a couple of other things (like nusb) if its windows 98 for instance, as that has an overall 'updating' affect on the usefulness of the system as well as being a familiar setup for me

i admit to quite liking office 2007 and later, and much as i spent time in earlier versions if i go back now there always seem to be many limitations or things i have become used to that were not there back then

i remember MS Works which at one point seemed to be installed everywhere, it wasn't bad in itself. But then i though the calculator and write.exe were cool in 16 bit windows too!

Reply 9 of 10, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I miss WordPerfect, used the DOS version (5.1) back in my college days. The other WP/spreadsheet we used a lot was SAMNA Pro running on AIX. So glad to see the back of that monstrosity. It was hellish even by the standards of the time (don't get me started about the spreadsheet aspect of it just ... just don't).

One obscurity I've not seen since then is an integrated package for DOS called Integrated 7 Advanced (or I7 for short) made by Mosaic I think. Can't find any information about that one anywhere.

These days, I just use Libre for pretty much everything.

Reply 10 of 10, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i used WordPerfect for DOS too, i remember learning some keyboard shortcuts and becoming quite fast at navigation, I know many GUI applications also have shortcuts (and i used them a lot for Office version too) but those 'peak DOS' office programs had a huge amount and the expectation was that you would learn them. some very early DOS programs gave you very little guidance onscreen too