VOGONS

First post, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, the current status for FreeDOS 1.3 RC4:
1) cannot install from CD on 486 due to low cache or low memory => solution is to install on Pentium, then put the drive in 486
2) FDNET has been removed, for networking download FDNET from FreeDOS 1.2 if you need
3) CDAudio is working, but you have to install proper Sound Blaster drivers and also open the mixer to unmute CD Audio (set volume)
4) Phil's FreeDOS starter pack is working worse than the default FreeDOS menu. He tested on AMD K6. Perhaps he should test on real DOS machine. Also his CD driver is not working at all. You know 486 does not have BIOS support for CDROM, but MSCDEX will find it. FreeDOS will find it by default. Phil's CD driver in starter pack will actually fail and will not found the CD driver. @PhilsComputerLab

Problem & Solution for GAMES (need to be updated):
1) If game has problem with DOS4GW.EXE, just replace it by DOS32A.EXE from C:\FDOS\BIN (copy and rename to DOS4GW.EXE in game's directory => sometime can even speed up the game)
2) Most of CD games will report CD is missing and are unable to start ==> this is important => how to fix it? Use MSCDEX?
3) A lot of games will crash because of JEMM386 exception ==> how to fix? Use MS-DOS 6.22 or Windows 98 MS-DOS 7.1 EMM386? What do you think?

Can you please help what to copy from DOS 7.1 or DOS 6.22? I have original discs.

FreeDOS right now is very powerful and offer a lot of new software and new networking possibilities.

Can 100% MS-DOS gaming compatibility be made by copying some files from MS-DOS? Can you please help me with this one? I struggle for 2 days already. Some example of working FDCONFIG.SYS and FDAUTO.BAT with these files would be very nice!