VOGONS

First post, by MILENKO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an img of lite98 and want to increase the hdd size, are there any programs that do this?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think if you used partition utilities to write it to a bigger, empty hard drive, so it's a regular partition, then used FIPS to grow the partition, then remade the image, that would work. But there's probably an easier way.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 6, by MILENKO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bZbZbZ wrote on 2021-06-29, 20:17:

Is this .IMG file a virtual hard drive which you are using with PCEm?

If I'm guessing incorrectly, could you please be a bit more specific?

Sorry yeah I'm using it in dosbox

Reply 4 of 6, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, so you're using DOSBox... But I still don't understand what exactly you're trying to accomplish...

The IMG file is for Windows 98Lite? This is probably an image of the installation CD. I don't think you want to increase the size of the CD, there wouldn't be much point in that.

Are you trying to increase the free space you have in the hard drive you have mounted? I thought the 'hard drive' in DOSBox has essentially no size restrictions... if you mount a folder as your 'c' drive you shouldn't run out of space:
Z:\>MOUNT C C:\DOSGAMES

That is, unless you have an argument to limit the free space:
Z:\>MOUNT C C:\DOSGAMES -freesize 1024
Maybe check to see if there is an argument like '-freesize' within your dosbox-main.conf configuration file?

Maybe check out the DOSBox help file for the MOUNT feature?
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT

Reply 5 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bZbZbZ wrote on 2021-07-01, 03:03:

But I still don't understand what exactly you're trying to accomplish...

While it is usually used for CD-ROM images, it is also possible to use imgmount to mount hard drive images in DOSBox. Generally this is necessary if one is trying to run Win9x in DOSBox, as mounting a hard drive image provides more accurate emulation than is generally available when using the standard "mount" command with directories.

Of course, this does not really answer the question. I expect Winimage can do it if all else fails, though Winimage isn't free.

In the end, it might be best just to make a second, larger hard drive image, mount it in DOSBox at the same time as the other, smaller image, and then use an appropriate drive cloning utility within DOSBox to transfer the data from one image to the other.

But no one should be using standard DOSBox for lite98 or any other variety of Win9x. DOSB0x-X or PCem is much more well-suited for that.