VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hoping to use the game save state feature of Gamewizard32 on my Tandy 2500SX/20 playing some old RPGs.

Everything seems to work well except it hangs when saving current program to disk, at "Please wait while saving to disk..." dialog.

Anyone experienced this? Not sure what is going on.

This is with or without a memory manager loaded. Each save state is precisely 83 bytes long.

Reply 1 of 1, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote on 2021-07-14, 18:32:
Hoping to use the game save state feature of Gamewizard32 on my Tandy 2500SX/20 playing some old RPGs. […]
Show full quote

Hoping to use the game save state feature of Gamewizard32 on my Tandy 2500SX/20 playing some old RPGs.

Everything seems to work well except it hangs when saving current program to disk, at "Please wait while saving to disk..." dialog.

Anyone experienced this? Not sure what is going on.

This is with or without a memory manager loaded. Each save state is precisely 83 bytes long.

Resurrecting my old thread, but my discovery is that anything that steals from 640kb DOS memory like drive overlay software or even XT-IDE's "kiB to steal from RAM for XTIDE Universal BIOS variables" will cause gamewizard32 savestates to fail.

In my case I initially ran with a drive overlay installed for a 2gb drive, and GW32 crashed when saving memory state. I swapped in my Tandy 1000's XT-IDE controller with a 32mb disk-0n-memory chip and it worked. I swapped out a different xt-ide controller with the 386 bios and a 256mb DOM and it stopped working again.

Swapping my xt-ide bios from 386/AT version to IDE_XT.BIN got it working again.

Might be useful to a few people. Having on-machine save states is pretty damn cool.