VOGONS

First post, by Ramisme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I do hope that my topic is in the right section. I'm also sorry if a topic answering my questions already exists, I searched but found none that could provide me with the answers I'm looking for. 😀
Before I explain my situation I'd like to say that I'm quite ignorant when it comes to old PC builds and I hope that I'll be able to fully achieve my goal with what I bought recently.

When I was a kid we used to have a Packard Bell PC in the mid 90s with Windows 95 and all the software that came with it. I tried to find the exact model of that PC but sadly my parents discarded every bill/proof of existence of that PC. Thankfully they kept some CDs and floppys that you can see in the following link : https://imgur.com/a/MmD1zRD?s=fbm&fbclid=IwAR … R0qnZNzfsCRMI1A

For years I've wanted to recreate my old PC with the same unit, the same OS and if possible the exact same softwares that came with that specific Packard Bell PC. A few months ago I've been able to lay my hands on an old Packard Bell PC whose reference can be found in the link above. According to the sticker it's an "A940" model but I wasn't able to find any information under that reference, after some research I came to the conclusion that this PC might be a C110 (http://pbplanet.info/wiki/index.php/Multimedia_C110) but yet again my very poor knowledge in that field doesn't help me. I've also linked you a couple of pictures in the imgur link to show you the hardware.

The guy who sold me the PC didn't give me anything else (no CDs, floppys, documents...).

I've tried to install some old software on that computer : I've been able to install Navigator for example, on the other hand when trying to start Duke Nukem 3D it tells me "could not detect MPU-401".

I'm then asking myself a few questions :

- Since I want to recreate the exact same experience as I once had and since this PC is fairly slow even to Win95 standards (I think) would it be possible to restore it and to install my version of windows 95 from my floppys/CDs and installing all my original software on this computer? Is it possible considering that this unit, even being apparently very similar, is actually a different one ?

- If this is possible (which I hope) what would be the procedure to do so ?

- If this is not possible, is it still possible to restore this PC to its factory state (to make it a bit faster and get rid of all the stuff of the previous owner) eventhough I don't have the CDs and floppys that go with this specific PC.

Thank you in advance for your answers and your help,

R.

Reply 1 of 3, by Ramisme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

So following some advice from a friend I did a new install of Windows 95 with my own CDs/Floppys and it worked. The PC runs a completely fresh Win95 and it's way faster.
I have one issue though : the CD drive is not recognized on startup and I have to manually make the computer look for it in order for it to appear in the workstation and being able to read a CD. Problem : whenever the PC restarts it forgets the CD drive again. What should I do ?

Thanks !

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What do you mean you have to manually make the computer look for the CD drive, Usually It's not something that just starts working without at least reboot?
Does the CD drive connect to the motherboard? or is it the soundcard?

Reply 3 of 3, by Ramisme

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I start the computer and go to "My Computer" (I think that's the English name for it) I don't see a CD-ROM Drive.
I have to go to the Control Panel and "Add new Hardware". Only then it reboots and allows me to use the CD-ROM Drive. But when I reboot or shut down the computer it vanishes again and I have to do it all over again.

And since you're speaking about sound as well, I don't have any. It seems that the hardware itself is ackowledged by the computer but there's a big yellow question mark next to it. I assume it's a driver problem ?