VOGONS

First post, by AeonG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While searching for Windows XP ISO's, I've noticed there are multiple editions to download, like "Unofficial SP4" "Black Edition" "Gamers Edition" "Neomax Edition". Almost all of them lead to malware, and I'm told some of the actual ISO's have malware on them. Are there any unofficial compiled versions of XP that don't contain malware, and actually contain stuff that would save me time hunting down updates+useful programs, and contain stuff that optimizes WIndows XP performance (if there actually is anything like that)?

Last edited by AeonG on 2021-09-02, 06:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have used the Black Edition in some of my builds and it is nice, but usually prefer to upgrade my own XP. I know that for a fact that genuine Black Edition does not have any malware. Well maybe some addons that you do not really need.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 6, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would say no. Once you integrate all updates and service packs, performance drops compared to vanilla SP3 or SP2.

For retro purposes, I would use vanilla SP2, on a computer disconnected from the internet.

Reply 3 of 6, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agree totally. SP2 does all the gaming and program running, only if you have a faster computer, or go to internet with XP, then you need SP3 plus additional updates. Hey I never even hd any troubles with SP1, maybe you just need to update the NET. framework to run some games and programs.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 4 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Performance drop from updates is non-existent on SSD. But yeah, purely for games, updating all the way up to 2019 (Windows XP Embedded EoL) is not necessary.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 6, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am using Windows XP Professional SP3 x86 - REMOVED at the moment on one of my retro pc's. It includes everything I need and also includes some optional components like 7-zip etc. There is a newer version available btw.

Can't post links for obvious reasons but it's easy to find and what I could gather it's from trustworthy people. No viruses or malware found with Bitdefender virusscanner (with the latest updates).

Last edited by DosFreak on 2023-06-29, 02:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 6, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made an xp x86 post sp3 build from the community at ryanvm.net aand posted it on arvice withut keys.
That and I integrated all the driverpacks.
Best thing I have done but I don't put the pos+ updates as I use it on older p2 p3 machines as well as newer.
Recommend p4 or equiv for the sufficient cpu extensions to run on current web.