20211012_001658.jpg
Filename
20211012_001658.jpg
File size
550.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This is the message I'm getting when I'm trying to start Win98SE! If I 'm pressing a key or wait for about 10 seconds, the system shuts down. I don't recall to saw this type of error message ever, at least I don't remember. It's been a long time since I've done Win98 troubleshooting... I think more then 15 years 😀.

The specs of the system are the following:
Gigabyte GA-6VXDC7 with 2xP3 @1GHz
1,5 Gb RAM
1 Gb CF card with adapter with Win98SE installed
Voodoo 3 2000 APG
Here are a couple of pictures of the setup: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

I'm getting this message even if I'm doing a step-by-step configuration at startup, skipping the load of config.sys and autoexec.bat or try to boot in Safe Mode!

If I recall correctly, I didn't use this CF card with the Win98SE install on any other setup until yesterday, when I wanted to test an Acrosser AR-B1640 v1.2 PCI SBC with a Via C3 1 GHz CPU and VIA PLE133T chipset(the one from here: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today).
Managed to start Windows on this SBC only in Safe Mode, in normal mode it wouldn't load at all, gives me just the black screen with the cursor. So, I loaded Windows a couple of times from this CF card on the SBC and ran CPUz, HWinfo and Everest Home to get some info.
After that, I've put the CF card into the Gigabyte board to test an AWE64 Value CT4520 under Win98 and I've got the message! It's not a big deal, I can wipe the whole CF card and reinstall Win98, but I'm curious to know what happened?

So, any ideas?
Thanks!

Reply 4 of 4, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yepp, can't believe how idiot I am! I knew about the 512 Mb limit of Win98, but...
I left the system with only one 512 Mb stick and it works just fine!

Thank you all for reminding me how idiot I am 😀

PS: this setup, with 1,5 Gb of RAM, is intended for a Win2000 system