VOGONS

First post, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using PC DOS 7 on my 486, and have looked a little bit into modifying my autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Normally, I edit these anyways to get CD support, and when I install my sound card drivers. Here I'm talking about messing with EMM386, and whatever other tweaks I can apply that will help with performance and compatibility. For example, I believe Adlib Tracker II will only run with EMM386 enabled.

I've searched around on the internet a lot, but have been given more questions than answers. I am good with using DOS at a basic level, but the more advanced stuff has got me tripped up.

Note that I will not be using Windows 3.1 because the video drivers for my VLB card take up memory from DOS as they have to load applications before you even use Windows.

Specs:
486 DX2-66
128KB L2 @ 15ns
16MB RAM @ 60ns
Cirrus Logic CL-5430 VLB
Soundblaster Vibra 16S
1GB Seagate Medalist IDE
CD-ROM

[EDIT]
I feel like I should note that EMM386.EXE comes with PC-DOS, and also that a version of SMARTDRV comes with it as well.

Reply 1 of 4, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One particular point, if you require EMS and UMB, then move the EMS page frame down to the top of the video ROM to avoid splitting the UMB space.

AT2 states 8MB+ of EXTENDED memory, seems it uses DPMI with GO32 - I thought DPMI didn't need EMM386, but EMM386 is compatible with DPMI.

It's possible you may need a boot menu to cover different demands, often depends if you have anything which is incompatible with EMM386 - or if you need EMS for some things and cannot maximize base memory with the UMB space remaining

Reply 2 of 4, by athlon_p0wer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Matth79 wrote on 2021-10-16, 18:14:

One particular point, if you require EMS and UMB, then move the EMS page frame down to the top of the video ROM to avoid splitting the UMB space.

How would I do that? I've added I=B000-B7FF to EMM386, which is apparently space reserved for monochrome monitors and adaptors (which I don't use) and that freed up some memory, so I guess that's not the same thing.

Reply 3 of 4, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
athlon_p0wer wrote on 2021-10-16, 17:08:
I am using PC DOS 7 on my 486, and have looked a little bit into modifying my autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Normally, I edi […]
Show full quote

I am using PC DOS 7 on my 486, and have looked a little bit into modifying my autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Normally, I edit these anyways to get CD support, and when I install my sound card drivers. Here I'm talking about messing with EMM386, and whatever other tweaks I can apply that will help with performance and compatibility. For example, I believe Adlib Tracker II will only run with EMM386 enabled.

I've searched around on the internet a lot, but have been given more questions than answers. I am good with using DOS at a basic level, but the more advanced stuff has got me tripped up.

Note that I will not be using Windows 3.1 because the video drivers for my VLB card take up memory from DOS as they have to load applications before you even use Windows.

Specs:
486 DX2-66
128KB L2 @ 15ns
16MB RAM @ 60ns
Cirrus Logic CL-5430 VLB
Soundblaster Vibra 16S
1GB Seagate Medalist IDE
CD-ROM

[EDIT]
I feel like I should note that EMM386.EXE comes with PC-DOS, and also that a version of SMARTDRV comes with it as well.

You do realize, I hope, that you didn't ask any question. 😀

athlon_p0wer wrote on 2021-10-16, 18:30:
Matth79 wrote on 2021-10-16, 18:14:

How would I do that? I've added I=B000-B7FF to EMM386, which is apparently space reserved for monochrome monitors and adaptors (which I don't use) and that freed up some memory, so I guess that's not the same thing.

adding FRAME=5 should do it
reference http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~bse26236/batutil/help/EMM386S.HTM

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 4, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
athlon_p0wer wrote on 2021-10-16, 17:08:

For example, I believe Adlib Tracker II will only run with EMM386 enabled.

And for programs/games that do not run when EMM386 is running, use Micronics MICEMM with the REAL (e.g.unreal mode) flag.