VOGONS

Reply 20 of 40, by JanTwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zyga64 wrote on 2021-10-24, 09:41:
Ok, perhaps I jumped to a conclusion too hastily. But it seems unlikely to me why you wouldn't want to expand the memory on your […]
Show full quote

Ok, perhaps I jumped to a conclusion too hastily. But it seems unlikely to me why you wouldn't want to expand the memory on your computer.
You can bought DDR2 memory very cheep these days. Here in Poland you can buy 2x2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM for the equivalent of ~15 euros.
I didn't mean to offend you.

With 4GB and Core2 class CPU - modern linux with XFCE desktop is working just fine (Windows 7 x86 as well). Of course I understand playing with old hardware - it fun for all of us !
But for daily driver ? Why ?

Hi zyga64! I didn't feel offended - i took it as a compliment! But if i tried to troll you Vogons here, this would be obvious in the first place - i know far too little. The situation is simple: My Computer is doing fine - 1GB is absolutely enaugh for OpenOffice, VLC, Emulators, my DigiCam and simple browsing. Then i stumbled about a no-longer-supported TV site ("update your browser!") and tried to find some solution. Helpful people recommended NM28, C360Chrome etc. - with Serpent (aka Basilisk) being the best. Before i had never ever heard of these projects. Then i thought "hey, can't we do better?" and started with Linux which needs +/- the same hardware specs = my Esprimo is too trashy = upgrade or die. Matter finished - for this time. I'm sure that when there is no longer hot steam evaporating out of my ears, i shall try to get a Win7 + x GB (the mentioned Dell should have DDR2 bars, no time to unscrew yet). But this is a different matter and i would need a week (better 2!) off to get it going. Now i shall pet the cat for a while... Kind regards

Update: I've just posted a request for a 7-DVD on ebay (offered 5€).

Last edited by JanTwo on 2021-10-24, 16:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-10-22, 20:30:

Lubuntu is light and functional enough for 1GB RAM.

Lubuntu used to be light and functional enough for 1GB RAM, 20.xx is a pig. 18.xx is tolerable, 16.xx was last best on 1GB.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 22 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My P4 HT with 4gigs runs Mint LMDE4 fine on the modern iternet and plays boobtube videos fine and dandy. For some reason some folk can't seem to accept that fact poor dears 😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 24 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-24, 22:03:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-24, 13:31:

Lubuntu used to be light and functional enough for 1GB RAM, 20.xx is a pig. 18.xx is tolerable, 16.xx was last best on 1GB.

Not surprised. Gone are the days when people really tried to make things run well on limited hardware.
Keeping out bloat should be a goal for everybody, not just the folks trying to maintain an "ultra lightweight system".

Debian 11 32-bit installed just fine on my NEC PowerMate with Celeron 800 and 256megs of ram. https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comments/pthv … ne_debian_crew/

Edit: Something Bunsten Labs Lithium failed to do btw.

Reply 25 of 40, by soggi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anders- wrote on 2021-10-24, 22:03:

Not surprised. Gone are the days when people really tried to make things run well on limited hardware.
Keeping out bloat should be a goal for everybody, not just the folks trying to maintain an "ultra lightweight system".

You name it! 😒

kind regards
soggi

Vintage BIOSes, firmware, drivers, tools, manuals and (3dfx) game patches -> soggi's BIOS & Firmware Page

soggi.org on Twitter - talent borrows, genius steals...

Reply 26 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The OPs comment about XP being threes faster than Mint is a total fib. It's certainly not believable at all. Most of my Linux systems are ex XP boxes and run as fast if not faster than XP Pro. My proof than a passing comment in a thread contrived to stir up controversy.

Reply 29 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-25, 13:15:

i just tried every so called light linux on p III and it was fdisk after was like running xp on 233mhz mmx a snail

Sure you did...

Reply 31 of 40, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Your average PIII unless it was running over a Ghz with over 512MB of RAM, I'd use for Puppy 5.5 ish, if I wanted a Linux on it... either that or go further back into insecurity and obscurity with a main line distro of 1999 or so.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 32 of 40, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i got xp on it with sata II 150 i'm happy there. I appologise my linux attempt was thwarted by malfunctioning gpu discovery made yesterday it malfunctioned on my other project.
Since its my music studio pc (I attached a sample) its pretty much finished now and has great sound.
I'm actually comfortable leaving it offline 😀

Attachments

Reply 33 of 40, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-10-24, 13:31:

Yes, you are right.
I guess, as time passes, developers redifine what an old system is and relax about optimizing their DE (besides including newer kernel, graphical stack, etc may have to do too)

Reply 34 of 40, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i just tried every so called light linux on p III and it was fdisk after was like running xp on 233mhz mmx a snail

As much as I love Gnu/linux, there are few distros that can run as snappy on older hardware (take socket 370 o 462 systems, for instance) as Windows XP.
Some do, as Puppy or the defunct Crunchbang (and WM oriented ones in general) but you can´t play Unreal with them 😀

I was trying (just for fun) to run x86 Raspberry OS on a Willamette 1.7Ghz, intel 845 chipset board, 256MB Ram, some days ago. It won´t even finish loading the live environment.
Windows XP in that same configuration would run quite smooth.

Last edited by Con 2 botones on 2021-10-28, 20:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 40, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-10-28, 12:58:
As much as I love Gnu/linux, there are few distros that can run as snappy on older hardware (take socket 370 o 462 systems, for […]
Show full quote

As much as I love Gnu/linux, there are few distros that can run as snappy on older hardware (take socket 370 o 462 systems, for instance) as Windows XP.
Some do, as Puppy or the defunct Crunchbang (and WM oriented ones in general) but you can´t play Unreal with them 😀

I was trying (just for fun) to run x86 Raspberry OS on a Willamette 1.7Ghz, intel 745 chipset board, 256MB Ram, some days ago. It won´t even finish loading the live environment.

if we knew linux kernel we could put windows drivers in it that would improve things in linux.
apparently that can happen. learned when was commenting about yamaha soundcard tonebank drivers once.
My music tower is kicking with its SIS315 128mb gpu and its stability is quite impressive " if its known as poor in gaming nobody will wear it out before you buy it" - zap's quote of the day 🤣
On my dual p3 system windows xp is proving quite nice on a 4 disk raid zero. (must backup the stripe though!)
Might do some monkey island cover 😀

Reply 36 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zapbuzz wrote on 2021-10-28, 19:55:
if we knew linux kernel we could put windows drivers in it that would improve things in linux. apparently that can happen. learn […]
Show full quote
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-10-28, 12:58:
As much as I love Gnu/linux, there are few distros that can run as snappy on older hardware (take socket 370 o 462 systems, for […]
Show full quote

I was trying (just for fun) to run x86 Raspberry OS on a Willamette 1.7Ghz, intel 745 chipset board, 256MB Ram, some days ago. It won´t even finish loading the live environment.

if we knew linux kernel we could put windows drivers in it that would improve things in linux.
apparently that can happen. learned when was commenting about yamaha soundcard tonebank drivers once.
My music tower is kicking with its SIS315 128mb gpu and its stability is quite impressive " if its known as poor in gaming nobody will wear it out before you buy it" - zap's quote of the day 🤣
On my dual p3 system windows xp is proving quite nice on a 4 disk raid zero. (must backup the stripe though!)
Might do some monkey island cover 😀

The Linux kernel and device driver module source code freely available so off you go....

Edit: Looking foward to your end results.

Reply 37 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Firefox-esr just upgraded to version 94 on my 32-bit and 64-bit Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 boxes. Now all you Linux loonies that were holding your breath can breath now. The Cosmos didn't collapse.

Reply 38 of 40, by JanTwo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogons, at last i'm through with all the recommended XP-Browsers

In brief: NewMoon28 is top, NO issues at all. IMPORTANT: For streaming make sure to set UA to Firefox compatibility. The only plugin i use is ublock.
In lenght: Like MyPal, FFox has become unusable on ebay (doesn't show my ads anymore), 360Chrome chrashes out of the blue, Serpent has a memory leak (XP wants to enlarge my swapfile). ... so i shreddered them all.

Re upgrading: My 1GB XP laptop works just fine now (for the present). I don't see any advantage in more RAM plus Win 7 and shall stay with XP = Never change a running team. On the side i mentioned, that i've just bought a Dell E5400-2GB-80GB HD (not SSD) with snail-pace-Win-10 on it. I downgraded to XP, now i got a rocket, plus: no more automatic updates, no 40GB reserved for system-bloatware (for XP a 5GB partition is sufficent, incl. a minimal 256MB swapfile and hibernate, there is 1GB left for temp). And no more bothering ads for X-box-blingbling ...

Thanks to all, have a good time and XP forever!

Reply 39 of 40, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyga64 wrote on 2021-10-24, 09:41:
Ok, perhaps I jumped to a conclusion too hastily. But it seems unlikely to me why you wouldn't want to expand the memory on your […]
Show full quote

Ok, perhaps I jumped to a conclusion too hastily. But it seems unlikely to me why you wouldn't want to expand the memory on your computer.
You can bought DDR2 memory very cheap these days. Here in Poland you can buy 2x2GB DDR2 SO-DIMM for the equivalent of ~15 euros.
I didn't mean to offend you.

With 4GB and Core2 class CPU - modern linux with XFCE desktop is working just fine (Windows 7 x86 as well). Of course I understand playing with old hardware - it is fun for all of us here !
But for daily driver ? Why ?

Edit reason: typos

Totally predictable outcome. Most here know this before the thread got post the first page.

Ya like what ya like.