VOGONS

First post, by figbash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I'm trying to run a good source port of Quake that can look as close as possible to the software mode but use my Voodoo 5 5500 for acceleration. I believe FitzQuake is a good match for this so I'm trying to get it to run. Has anyone had any luck with this?

When using the official 3DFX ICD the menu works, but the actual game view is just a smear of repeating colored lines. When I use MesaFX by copying the Opengl32.dll into the FitzQuake directory and the Glide3x.dll into windows\system, it starts and looks great but it's running at maybe 2 FPS. I've tried MesaFX 5.1 and the current 6.2 version with the same results. Have I forgotten a step in my old age?

I tried QDFitz in DOS and it does work with with my Voodoo 5 at full speed using the mesafx it comes with, but it will stay on a black screen for over 15 seconds every time there is a load, making it pretty hard to play!

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm confused by the question. Are you asking for the game to use Glide/OGL but look like vanilla? No transparent water, etc?

The following work on 98, can't remember which ones are software vs hardware although I can make a reasonable guess.....
Quakespasm 0.90.1 is based off of FitzQuake.
Qbism super8 v288
Pro Quake 493
Dark Places darkplacesengine20110328beta2
Engoo eng277w
TyrQuake tyrquake-0.66-win32 (This may be what you are looking for assuming it works on a V5)

The following also work on DOS:

SOFTWARE
Engoo eng205d
QBISM qbism8_DOS-9_bin

SOFTWARE/HARDWARE
QDOS (has glide acceleration in DOS and is vanilla). Newer than FitzQuake for DOS
https://bitbucket.org/maraakate/qdos/src/master/

Sadly haven't seen any work being done on the DOS ports so don't think the remaster content will work in DOS. 🙁 With 9x and kernelex it's likely tho since the latest versions of quakespasm work on that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by figbash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the list! I'll try out some of the others.

Sorry for the confusing wording, I mostly mean to get overbright/fullbright support and fix the gamma. GLQuake just looks really off relative to software mode but I'd still love to use my voodoo 5 to accelerate it. I tried a Geforce 2 Ultra and Fitzquake looks great on it, I'm just having the issues with voodoo 5's OpenGL under windows.

Reply 3 of 3, by figbash

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK any future person looking for a fix for this, after some more digging I've found that any Fitzquake version >= .70 introduces a refresh rate setting that has a bug in windows 9x, where the refresh rate reads as 0 for all video modes and causes the game to update extremely slowly. Version .65 is running perfectly for me with MesaFX.