VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have read a little but there is too much information and unfortunately the time is short. In my 486 that I usually use I have IBM DOS 6.3 and Win3.11 installed. I used them in his time, but now I especially find win3.11 really too limited. So I thought of using win95 for convenience in installing the drivers (I don't remember at all how to install the peripheral drivers in win3.11 so it would take me too long to refresh my memory) and in handling the files, as well as trying to go on the Internet. I am aware that the dos7 version exists in win95. My question is, if I want to use the computer in DOS mode, is there a way not to have win95 automatically load and run it like win3.11 (win -> enter). Is the dos of win95 suitable for old games created before 95 which required a lot of memory in the early 640k? I remember that at the time I freed this type of memory in config.sys, but perhaps now it cannot be done and win95 would be rendered unusable. Thanks for the answers.

Reply 2 of 12, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-01-04, 10:27:

I am aware that the dos7 version exists in win95.

Keep in mind that DOS 7 from earlier Win95 versions does not support FAT32 partitions. Only DOS 7.1 from Win95 B, aka Win95 OSR 2 does.

if I want to use the computer in DOS mode, is there a way not to have win95 automatically load and run it like win3.11 (win -> enter).

Yes, set bootgui=0 in msdos.sys file (it's a text file in Win9x).
You'd also want to setup your config.sys and autoexec.bat properly, with HIMEM, EMM386, and what not.

Is the dos of win95 suitable for old games created before 95 which required a lot of memory in the early 640k?

Yes.

How much memory do you have? Windows 98 SE is generally considered the best Win9x version, but it does want a bit more memory than Win95.

Reply 3 of 12, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also note that exiting Windows 95 back to DOS is a bit complicated. If you have bootgui=0, and you "shutdown" your Windows 95, it will actually exit back to the command prompt like Win 3.11, but will not restore the video mode (you'll see the "It's now safe to turn off your computer" screen).
You can keep pressing Enter to see the (glitched) command prompt.
You can still type commands though, and executing anything that will restore text mode will fix the issue.

This trick does not work if you have bootgui=1.

Reply 4 of 12, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote on 2022-01-04, 10:33:
Keep in mind that DOS 7 from earlier Win95 versions does not support FAT32 partitions. Only DOS 7.1 from Win95 B, aka Win95 OSR […]
Show full quote

I am aware that the dos7 version exists in win95.

Keep in mind that DOS 7 from earlier Win95 versions does not support FAT32 partitions. Only DOS 7.1 from Win95 B, aka Win95 OSR 2 does.

if I want to use the computer in DOS mode, is there a way not to have win95 automatically load and run it like win3.11 (win -> enter).

Yes, set bootgui=0 in msdos.sys file (it's a text file in Win9x).
You'd also want to setup your config.sys and autoexec.bat properly, with HIMEM, EMM386, and what not.

Is the dos of win95 suitable for old games created before 95 which required a lot of memory in the early 640k?

Yes.

How much memory do you have? Windows 98 SE is generally considered the best Win9x version, but it does want a bit more memory than Win95.

it is a 486DX4 100Mhz with 32Mb of ram but i can add more memory if needed, But CPU is at his maximum, WIN98 isn't too heavy for this CPU?

"You'd also want to setup your config.sys and autoexec.bat properly, with HIMEM, EMM386, and what not." i can also run win95 after this tuning?

tnks

Reply 5 of 12, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-01-04, 10:39:

it is a 486DX4 100Mhz with 32Mb of ram but i can add more memory if needed, But CPU is at his maximum, WIN98 isn't too heavy for this CPU?

CPU should be OK, but 64 MB RAM will be nice for Win98.
Unfortunately having more than 32 MB of RAM causes issues with some DOS games.
Aladdin comes to my mind. This can be worked around by "wasting" (allocating) memory by some TSR, e.g. a virtual drive, so no more than 32 MB free RAM remains for the game.

"You'd also want to setup your config.sys and autoexec.bat properly, with HIMEM, EMM386, and what not." i can also run win95 after this tuning?

Yes, but in practice you may have a [menu] section in your config.sys, so you can have separate memory and driver configurations for DOS and Windows (not all DOS drivers and tweaks and hacks are needed for Windows).

Reply 6 of 12, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Azarien wrote on 2022-01-04, 10:39:
Also note that exiting Windows 95 back to DOS is a bit complicated. If you have bootgui=0, and you "shutdown" your Windows 95, i […]
Show full quote

Also note that exiting Windows 95 back to DOS is a bit complicated. If you have bootgui=0, and you "shutdown" your Windows 95, it will actually exit back to the command prompt like Win 3.11, but will not restore the video mode (you'll see the "It's now safe to turn off your computer" screen).
You can keep pressing Enter to see the (glitched) command prompt.
You can still type commands though, and executing anything that will restore text mode will fix the issue.

This trick does not work if you have bootgui=1.

type:

mode co80

It should restore the standard video text.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 7 of 12, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Azarien wrote on 2022-01-04, 11:42:

CPU should be OK, but 64 MB RAM will be nice for Win98.

STOP.
A standard 486's 256 KB L2 cache cannot cover 64 MB in write back mode.
So 32 MB RAM basically is perfect.

Reply 9 of 12, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-01-04, 15:35:

ok, now the question? why choose 98 instead of 95c? There is no usb-isa card...

Win95 RTM or Win 95 OSR2 without IE will be nicer on this rig. Win 98 and later will choke it, because IE4 and later will eat all your free RAM. Trust me, 32MB of RAM with Win9x+IE will be terrible.
See here for how to rid your installation files of IE for OSR2.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 10 of 12, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember a tool called 98lite that will allow you to customize the installation media, basically resulting in a stripped down 98SE with 95 GUI.
IIRC, it's freeware, but changes the windows boot screen with its logo, which probably is reversable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwtA9e3YRI

I like jumpers.

Reply 11 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lots of us use Win95 on our 486's, as you say its a much nicer OS for system management then Win3x (although that does have it's charm)
You'll still have to properly configure dos mode as a 486 doesn't have enough power to run dos games from within windows.

What I have deen doing since 1995 is have a shortcut on my desktop to MS-Dos mode and configure the Autoexec/config.sys files from within the shortcut.
this way it keeps Win95 "clean" or default. and it'll always remember if you last booted into Windows or Dos.

I've never had a game that didn't like Dos7, Dirvers can cause trouble sometimes though.

Reply 12 of 12, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have read a little but there is too much information and unfortunately the time is short. In my 486 that I usually use I have IBM DOS 6.3 and Win3.11 installed. I used them in his time, but now I especially find win3.11 really too limited. So I thought of using win95 for convenience in installing the drivers (I don't remember at all how to install the peripheral drivers in win3.11 so it would take me too long to refresh my memory) and in handling the files, as well as trying to go on the Internet. I am aware that the dos7 version exists in win95. My question is, if I want to use the computer in DOS mode, is there a way not to have win95 automatically load and run it like win3.11 (win -> enter). Is the dos of win95 suitable for old games created before 95 which required a lot of memory in the early 640k? I remember that at the time I freed this type of memory in config.sys, but perhaps now it cannot be done and win95 would be rendered unusable. Thanks for the answers.

How to create a boot (start up) menu under Windows 9x/ME