VOGONS

First post, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all --

I'm hoping someone out there has some experience with this game -- because I had it working on my old windows 95 PC, but my new "upgraded" windows 95 PC crashes either during or after battle. I've tried with and without the 1.02 patch and with and without the Cyrix patch, but I have the same issue. If I have the K6-2 installed, the game runs great, but crashes. If I put a Pentium MMX in the PC it doesn't crash, or at least not nearly as often. No software changes.

On the Square website there is a KB article that states crashing after battle is a video driver issue -- I tried with the K6-2 in software rendering mode and sure enough, no crashes. So something about the combination of Voodoo 2 and K6-2 is causing a crash in FF7. The machine will loop the Unreal timedemo for several hours with no issues -- so I don't think it's an issue with the voodoo itself. It also is the same card that came out of the "old" windows 95 PC.

If anyone has any tips I'd appreciate it. I've tried everything I know including using CTU to disable all the K6-2 write combining features and the like. the K6-2 is a 450MHz model but I'm running it at 4x66 for 266MHz as a have a PII 450MHz windows 98SE box. I wanted something slower.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd try an older driver for the Voodoo2 perhaps. Which one are you using right now? Also, what is the rest of your system consisted of?

One more thing, if you are running the K6-2 at 266MHz, it is barely, if any, faster than an Pentium MMX 233. K6-2 450 offers nowhere near the performance of the PII 450 when it comes to 3D games.

Reply 2 of 5, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2022-02-01, 19:17:

I'd try an older driver for the Voodoo2 perhaps. Which one are you using right now? Also, what is the rest of your system consisted of?

One more thing, if you are running the K6-2 at 266MHz, it is barely, if any, faster than an Pentium MMX 233. K6-2 450 offers nowhere near the performance of the PII 450 when it comes to 3D games.

I think this PC is so much faster because it is sdram instead of 72-pin simm. I can speed it up as needed pretty easily. It is stable up to 400MHz on my board.

I've tried 3.02.02 and 3.03.00b

Is there a way to use an older version for just FF7? Or is that only possible for glide games?

Reply 3 of 5, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's crashing where it would bring up stats or a menu, maybe it's the 2D half of the combo barfing.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 5, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-02-01, 21:31:

If it's crashing where it would bring up stats or a menu, maybe it's the 2D half of the combo barfing.

I don't think that the 2D card actually renders anything in FF7, but on a hunch I put in a Rage 128 Pro to see what happened (it has more memory than the PC, 🤣). The game hangs in the same way when using the Voodoo 2 -- however, it does complete battle if I use the ATi card to play the game. On my second try with the ATi card the game froze in battle -- so I'm thinking there's definitely some AMD related problem. The game plays fine with the PMMX 233.

Reply 5 of 5, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This ended up being because my V2 is unstable at stock clocks. If I underclock to 85MHz it works fine. Whoever the previous owner must was must have overclocked it until it stopped working and then sold it on to me.

- AN