VOGONS

First post, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone.

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4340 with these specs:

• Pentium III 650 Mhz
  • 320 MB SDRAM (max allowed on this system)
  • S3 Savage/IX
  • Yamaha YMF744B-R

I have installed 98SE with all the drivers downloaded from dynabook website for this model. All the devices are installed correctly, no errors in device manager.
But I'm having some issues with two games: Empire Earth and Midtown Madness 2. They crash at startup.

EE shows "Visual C++ runtime error", MM2 hangs Windows entirely.

I know that this laptop actually is the bare minimum for those games, but they should at least open right?

What I have tried:

• Installed VC++ 6.0 runtime libraries
  • Tested all DirectX versions from 7 to 9.0c
  • Different S3 drivers instead of toshiba ones
  • Replaced 98SE with ME (and after again all the combinations of drivers\directx)

And still got the same issues for both games. Searching online I have reports of people playing EE with a similar toshiba laptop, same video card but a slightly different sound card (a Yamaha YMF754).
So I'm thinking that the culprit is the YMF744B-R. But I can't find other working drivers besides the toshiba ones.

So should I lose hope of got them working? I bought this laptop for other things but have EE and MM2 running (event at low settings) would be a nice extra.

EDIT: Original posted in wrong section, deleted and posted again here.

EDIT 2: Changed sound card name.

Last edited by mrfusion92 on 2022-02-08, 13:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by mrfusion92

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Little update.

The sound card is a Yamaha YMF744B-R. I just learned that DS-XG is like the "family" name.

And more importantly with Windows 2000 installed and S3 drivers download from dynabook, Empire Earth works. Sounds too. As I already know I had to set to low settings but it is playeable.

So why the heck in Win 98/ME it doesn't work?!