VOGONS

First post, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All of my Legend games have this problem with my P133 setup. Using a Roland MPU401 with an MT32 and an SBPro 2.0. When the game tries to start sending data to the MT32 it freezes the computer up. It sends the initial message so I can read the text then freezes.

I've tried slowing the machine down and booting with a different memory config, but it keeps happening. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea or any experience with these Legend games and why out of all my games these seem to freeze up at initialization of the MT32.

I will provide as much info as necessary sorry if I could have provided more to start with.

EDIT: I suppose even after disabling the cache to control speed maybe its still too fast for these games? Whats the fastest machine any of you have run these on with an MPU-401?

Reply 1 of 4, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-02-14, 23:56:
All of my Legend games have this problem with my P133 setup. Using a Roland MPU401 with an MT32 and an SBPro 2.0. When the gam […]
Show full quote

All of my Legend games have this problem with my P133 setup. Using a Roland MPU401 with an MT32 and an SBPro 2.0. When the game tries to start sending data to the MT32 it freezes the computer up. It sends the initial message so I can read the text then freezes.

I've tried slowing the machine down and booting with a different memory config, but it keeps happening. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea or any experience with these Legend games and why out of all my games these seem to freeze up at initialization of the MT32.

I will provide as much info as necessary sorry if I could have provided more to start with.

EDIT: I suppose even after disabling the cache to control speed maybe its still too fast for these games? Whats the fastest machine any of you have run these on with an MPU-401?

What games specifically? , ive got a similar setup so i could try some out and see what's going on.

Reply 2 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2022-02-14, 23:56:
All of my Legend games have this problem with my P133 setup. Using a Roland MPU401 with an MT32 and an SBPro 2.0. When the gam […]
Show full quote

Gateway, for example, runs fine with an MT-32 connected through an AWE64 (running SoftMPU) on my 1.4GHz Pentium 3 with L1 and L2 caches disabled .

Reply 3 of 4, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there an option in BIOS for APM or ACPI power management? if yes then chose APM
Also are there any extra ide/scsi controllers installed? they can also create conflicts

Also try to jumper the 401 to a free IRQ like 3 or 4 and launch GATEWAY with this command: GATE MT32 3 330 (for IRQ3, change 3->4 for IRQ4)
If the game works with a different IRQ or port then you will get a better idea of what is going on.
There are motherboards starting with the late era 486 VLB or PCI ones that do not free up IRQ2 at all, if this is the case and you need to use IRQ2 then you need another motherboard...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 4, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2022-02-15, 06:11:
Is there an option in BIOS for APM or ACPI power management? if yes then chose APM Also are there any extra ide/scsi controllers […]
Show full quote

Is there an option in BIOS for APM or ACPI power management? if yes then chose APM
Also are there any extra ide/scsi controllers installed? they can also create conflicts

Also try to jumper the 401 to a free IRQ like 3 or 4 and launch GATEWAY with this command: GATE MT32 3 330 (for IRQ3, change 3->4 for IRQ4)
If the game works with a different IRQ or port then you will get a better idea of what is going on.
There are motherboards starting with the late era 486 VLB or PCI ones that do not free up IRQ2 at all, if this is the case and you need to use IRQ2 then you need another motherboard...

Thanks Keropi! I changed the IRQ on the 401 to 3 and it works fine now. Thanks to everyone else who also offered assistance.