VOGONS

First post, by WTG_Scoob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally got my W98 pc up and running again and I just got a Thrustmaster flight control stick and wanted to try ACES OVER EUROPE but I can't get it running .

Setup :
P3 450mhz
256 mb ram
geforce 2 mx400
32gb hdd

I have tried a few different config and autoexec files i found on here but it still says not enough memory no matter what I do
scrn.jpg

scrn1.jpg

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game mentioned "extended memory" rather than XMS.. Hm.

On DOS 6.22 Himem.sys, there's an /int15= parameter that reserves Extended Memory for the int15h BIOS interface (func. 87h)..

MSD and CheckIt v3 can confirm that memory, if made available.

http://info.wsisiz.edu.pl/~bse26236/batutil/help/HIMEM_S.HTM

http://manmrk.net/tutorials/DOS/msdos7/himem.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WTG_Scoob wrote on 2022-02-18, 02:18:
I finally got my W98 pc up and running again and I just got a Thrustmaster flight control stick and wanted to try ACES OVER EURO […]
Show full quote

I finally got my W98 pc up and running again and I just got a Thrustmaster flight control stick and wanted to try ACES OVER EUROPE but I can't get it running .

Setup :
P3 450mhz
256 mb ram
geforce 2 mx400
32gb hdd

I have tried a few different config and autoexec files i found on here but it still says not enough memory no matter what I do
scrn.jpg

scrn1.jpg

Your problem is most likely is that you have too much extended memory (256MB) that the game cannot interpret properly. So you should try to limit your XMS to e.g. 16MB. You can use HimemX with the /MAX parameter to do this.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/himemx/files/

After downloading and putting HimemX.exe to your windows directory you should put this into the 1st line of your Config .sys:
DEVICE=C:\windows\HimemX.exe /MAX=16M
This limits the available extended memory.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 5 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Use the XMS/EMS ramdisk program by Franck Uberto to limit the available memory.
By far the best solution I have tried, not only it can be resized/removed (so great for batch files to launch games) but it can be instructed with /t switch to occupy memory above 16MB - this helps some old games.

I would try like this in your case:
xmsdsk 250000 /t /y
then after game is finished just run xmsdsk /u /y and ramdisk will be completely removed from ram

Attachments

• Filename
    furd19i.zip
    File size
    73.69 KiB
    Downloads
    31 downloads
    File comment
    RAMDISK by Franck Uberto
    File license
    Public domain

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website