VOGONS

First post, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

HI, welcome.
I know for win98 people say 7.0a.
but what is it for windows me?
please someone tell me the best version.
I was thinking maybe dx8? (but which one?)

Thanks in advance.

MSI MS-6734 KM3M mobo / Athlon XP 3000+ /512mb ddr1 ram
Voodoo 3 3000 PCI @185mhz / Aureal vortex 2 (dell oem)
3dfx ref. drivers win98se and dual boot with winXP-32 bit running amigasport 3.0 3dfx drivers oc'd with koolsmokey's V.Control in XP

Reply 1 of 33, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
derpmochump wrote on 2022-03-03, 18:51:
HI, welcome. I know for win98 people say 7.0a. but what is it for windows me? please someone tell me the best version. I was thi […]
Show full quote

HI, welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

IMHO, there is no "best" version of DirectX for Windows 98 or for Windows ME . The DirectX version you will want to have installed will depend on

a) the versions supported on a given OS
b) The graphics card and drivers you are using and their dependency (or lack thereof) of a minimum DirectX version
c) Most importantly, the requirements of the games/applications you want to run . I.E. If the game you want to run requires a specific DirectX version as a minimum, it won't work with an earlier version
d) Potentially backward compatibility issues that a given games/applications may have with too new a DirectX version. Though issues are more likely to stem from too new a graphics card and/or driver version than the DirectX version installed as DirectX is generally pretty good with backward compatibility

Reply 2 of 33, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends on what you are attempting to accomplish, retro-wise.

DirectX 5.x on Windows 95A
DirectX 6.1 on Windows 95B or C
DirectX 7.0a on Windows 98SE
DirectX 8.2 on Windows ME
DirectX 9.0b on Windows 2000
DirectX 9.0c on Windows XP

These are just excuses I have provided myself to use a different OS, while likely keeping problems to a minimum for the games designed around a specific DirectX version.

Reply 3 of 33, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:15:
It depends on what you are attempting to accomplish, retro-wise. […]
Show full quote

These are just excuses I have provided myself to use a different OS, while likely keeping problems to a minimum for the games designed around a specific DirectX version.

Good point, if one has multiple machines, this makes a lot of sense.

However, if using a single machine for Windows 9x/ME compatible stuff, my experience/preference so far is that practically anything needing up to DirectX 9 or earlier (and not requiring Windows XP) can usually be handled by using a single machine running Windows 98SE with DirectX 9 and 2 graphics cards :

a) Something like a 3DFX Voodoo card variant for earlier games
b) Something like a midrange or better Geforce FX card (or newer, within reason) for newer games

Reply 4 of 33, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:12:
Hi, […]
Show full quote
HI, welcome. I know for win98 people say 7.0a. but what is it for windows me? please someone tell me the best version. I was thi […]
Show full quote

HI, welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

IMHO, there is no "best" version of DirectX for Windows 98 or for Windows ME . The DirectX version you will want to have installed will depend on

b) The graphics card and drivers you are using and their dependency (or lack thereof) of a minimum DirectX version
c) Most importantly, the requirements of the games/applications you want to run . I.E. If the game you want to run requires a specific DirectX version as a minimum, it won't work with an earlier version
d) Potentially backward compatibility issues that a given games/applications may have with too new a DirectX version. Though issues are more likely to stem from too new a graphics card and/or driver version than the DirectX version installed as DirectX is generally pretty good with backward compatibility

I am not sure what I am trying to accomplish, I have a radeon 9600 pro for winME, I also have 2 much stronger machines that dual boot windows XP.
So maybe, at what dx level of games does the radeno 9600 pro become weak?

3dfx ref. drivers win98se and dual boot with winXP-32 bit running amigasport 3.0 3dfx drivers oc'd with koolsmokey's V.Control in XP

Reply 5 of 33, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:25:
Good point, if one has multiple machines, this makes a lot of sense. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Good point, if one has multiple machines, this makes a lot of sense.

However, if using a single machine for Windows 9x/ME compatible stuff, my experience/preference so far is that practically anything needing up to DirectX 9 or earlier (and not requiring Windows XP) can usually be handled by using a single machine running Windows 98SE with DirectX 9 and 2 graphics cards :

a) Something like a 3DFX Voodoo card variant for earlier games
b) Something like a midrange or better Geforce FX card (or newer, within reason) for newer games

I agree. My artificial limit means absolutely no DirectX9 on Windows 9X. A Ti4200 (or when I used to own a 4600) is as fast as I will take Windows ME. Windows 98SE gets all Voodoo2 and later 3dfx. Windows 95 gets PowerVR and Voodoo1/Rush.

Reply 6 of 33, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote

Yes I like those cut off points, directx 8.2 for ME.
Maybe I should reinstall windowsME all over again because I put dx9.0c and it's triggering my autism to the max.

Reply 7 of 33, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derpmochump wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:31:
Show full quote

Maybe I should reinstall windowsME all over again because I put dx9.0c and it's triggering my autism to the max.

thanks, yes i am going to reinstall windows me, you can't roll back directx am I right?
it's itching me bad.

Reply 8 of 33, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derpmochump wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:30:
Hi, […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

HI, welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am not sure what I am trying to accomplish, I have a radeon 9600 pro for winME, I also have 2 much stronger machines that dual boot windows XP.

You don't have a choice in this matter, so your problems are solved. This card is a DirectX9 card. DirectX 9.0 is as far back as you can go.

Last edited by Meatball on 2022-03-03, 19:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 33, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derpmochump wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:32:
derpmochump wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:31:
Show full quote

thanks, yes i am going to reinstall windows me, you can't roll back directx am I right?
it's itching me bad.

Correct, you cannot rollback DirectX without a reinstall; except possibly in the case of Windows XP and rollback of Service Pack 2 or 3 to Service Pack 1. (Though I have never tested this to confirm).

Reply 10 of 33, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:33:
derpmochump wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:30:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

You don't have a choice in this matter, so your problems are solved. This card is a DirectX9 card. DirectX 9.0a is as far back as you can go.

Yeah I know but I ran unreal gold with 227i patch installed (used kernelex) and it ran like s*** in dx9.0c but it ran good in dx8.
So now I'm all mad about it.

Reply 11 of 33, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

you can't roll back directx am I right?

You can delete DirectX completely with utility called DirectX Eradicator and install what you want. Obviously, anything below DirectX 7.0a could lead to problems on ME.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 12 of 33, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oh also i ran deus ex in opengl and it ran really good, much better than dx (Double fps)
but in unrealgold 227i i couldn't run in opengl (black screen) and i don't know why.

Reply 13 of 33, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:36:

You can delete DirectX completely with utility called DirectX Eradicator and install what you want. Obviously, anything below DirectX 7.0a could lead to problems on ME.

DirectX Eradicator, i'll look for that now.
Thanks, will let you know how that goes soon.

Reply 14 of 33, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool, I didn't know about this. I won't use it because any major change in Windows 9X causes me to reinstall the OS completely, but it's nice to know it is out there.

Reply 15 of 33, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-03, 19:40:

Cool, I didn't know about this. I won't use it because any major change in Windows 9X causes me to reinstall the OS completely, but it's nice to know it is out there.

I'll let you know if things are as they were after i use it and put dx8.2.

Reply 16 of 33, by derpmochump

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ran dx eradicator 2.0 then rebooted, then installed dx 8.2 and rebooted and now it's stuck on reboot windows screen with the drum and drumsticks 'updating system settings...'

I am going to go AFK for awhile now and see if it goes through.

Reply 17 of 33, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derpmochump wrote on 2022-03-03, 20:00:

I ran dx eradicator 2.0 then rebooted, then installed dx 8.2 and rebooted and now it's stuck on reboot windows screen with the drum and drumsticks 'updating system settings...'

I hope it turns out OK. This is the gamble I have tired of taking with Windows 9X for many years now. There was fun in trying to get things working without starting from scratch, but life is too short.

Reply 18 of 33, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-03, 20:07:

I hope it turns out OK. This is the gamble I have tired of taking with Windows 9X for many years now. There was fun in trying to get things working without starting from scratch, but life is too short.

My approach is to keep backup images from before and after any significant change. It saves time and frustration, IMHO .

Reply 19 of 33, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-03-03, 20:09:
Meatball wrote on 2022-03-03, 20:07:

My approach is to keep backup images from before and after any significant change. It saves time and frustration, IMHO .

Yes, I have done that from time to time. Isn't it ironic? I'm too lazy to make the effort to image, but I don't have problems reinstalling. I guess reinstalling is fun to me, still.