VOGONS

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am playing Quake 3 and I see settings of Colod Depth and Texture Depth. Can anyone differentiate between these and also tell where I can see their differences?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 1, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Color depth = the screen mode. Default = tries to match your desktop's color depth.

Texture depth = the texture formats. 16 = uses RGBA4 and RGB5. That's 4 to 5 bits at best. 32 = uses RGB8 and RGBA8. Default = tries to match with your color depth.

A good place to see their differences easily is anywhere near a shiny texture or a hole, as that's where an alpha texture format will be used, like the structure holding the upper platform lights in Q3DM17 and the holes that are under the weapons. Q3TOURNEY2's also has many good spots to observe. Q3's fog is a calculated texture with an alpha, and that'll matter in the texture depth setting too with the fog's gradient looking more banded in some areas.

Quake3 also uses overbrights when run in fullscreen mode, and that will make color depth really matter when it comes to color precision.

apsosig.png
long live PCem