VOGONS

In-game AVIs - no video

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leonardo wrote on 2022-04-07, 16:38:

I hate it when something like this goes unsolved. "Reinstall Windows" isn't the type of advice people like to hear... At least you fixed the problem.

Well yeah I agree. I only reinstalled Windows because I had to, not to "fix" my problem. I'm just hoping that once I have everything back on the machine, I don't end up with the exact same problem.

Reply 21 of 25, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
typh0id wrote on 2022-04-08, 11:35:

I hate it when something like this goes unsolved. "Reinstall Windows" isn't the type of advice people like to hear... At least you fixed the problem.

Well yeah I agree. I only reinstalled Windows because I had to, not to "fix" my problem. I'm just hoping that once I have everything back on the machine, I don't end up with the exact same problem.

I don't understand why it didn't occur to me to suggest this to you earlier, but you could try Total Uninstall from the Essential Utilities-section of my guide. It works on both Windows 95 and 98 . It's a great tool to use that allows you to - in many cases - roll back more cleanly than using the uninstaller included with the applications themselves. The way it works is you start Total Uninstall first, then run your application- or game setup utility from within it to allow it to capture all the changes it makes.

It might allow you to avert a scenario in which you accidentally break your Windows installation, at least if you use it dutifully every time you install a new app.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 23 of 25, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

At least for me things are more transparent on Windows NT. Some things remain unexplainable on Windows 9X era hardware, and the best most can say is "driver issue". At least now due to more research and good logging features on Windows, the problems can more or less be found.

For example, USB driver on my Windows 98 Pentium 2 machine makes it not shutdown anymore. So I quit trying to find a solution, even it may exist, and shutdown directly when it goes to that screen.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 24 of 25, by typh0id

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-04-09, 08:08:

For example, USB driver on my Windows 98 Pentium 2 machine makes it not shutdown anymore. So I quit trying to find a solution, even it may exist, and shutdown directly when it goes to that screen.

Same here. I also stopped worrying about it. If I wait until the activity light stops moving on the "shutting down" screen, it doesn't seem to have any problem with me doing a hard power off then.