VOGONS

First post, by pnkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone!

I managed to dig out a copy of HL with CS1.6 that works under 98SE (green Steam like UI version with CS bots).
The laptop I'm running it on has a much better CPU than GPU, so software rendering gives better results than OpenGL or D3D for the most part, but the lowest I can set it is 640x480. Is there a way to set the software renderer even lower? I'd aim for 512x383, scales better too on a 1024x768 panel. I remember the original non-Steam Sierra release of Half-Life supported lower resolutions, but I don't think getting CS1.6 to work with that would be easy.

Command lines options or registry edits don't work and I tried to hex edit hl.exe and also decrypted sw.dll but didn't find anything that would imply resolutions.

If anyone has any idea or tips, let me know, thanks!

Reply 1 of 14, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try a shortcut with -width 512 -height 383 maybe it's just -w -h. It's been a while.
When you got the original HL release you can go as low as 320p just in the options.

pc.png
archiveorg.png
https://archive.org/details/@robertkopp

Reply 2 of 14, by pnkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robertkopp wrote on 2022-04-13, 19:34:

Try a shortcut with -width 512 -height 383 maybe it's just -w -h. It's been a while.
When you got the original HL release you can go as low as 320p just in the options.

Thanks for the reply. I did try both but sadly no luck, defaults to 480p.

Reply 4 of 14, by pnkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-04-14, 00:11:

Steam Half-Life dropped support for <640 resolutions long ago. Also you're off by one with the resolution (512x383 isn't valid, 512x384 is)

I was afraid about that, shame, I guess that's why there's no easy ways to hack it in either like with higher resolutions.
Thanks for noticing, must have mistyped.

Reply 5 of 14, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I could swear that the 1.0 release was early enough, but I can not get my scratched cd to work anymore.
/EDIT by Dosfreak removed mention of where to acquire copyrighted software. Use your own archives.

pc.png
archiveorg.png

Reply 6 of 14, by pnkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Robertkopp wrote on 2022-04-14, 12:25:

I could swear that the 1.0 release was early enough, but I can not get my scratched cd to work anymore.
/EDIT by Dosfreak removed mention of where to acquire copyrighted software. Use your own archives.

You mean Steam or Non-Steam? I have the Non-Steam Sierra release of Half-Life, that supports lower than 480p resolutions, would be nice if the Steam version would let me too, better mod support, like CS 1.6. Such a weird limitation.

Reply 7 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not a weird limitation when it happened at a time when Valve were integrating communication features when there were enough commonly powerful hardware to no longer need a low resolution in 2003.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 14, by Robertkopp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes I was thinking about the non steam version. I was still playing on 1.5 and other mods on WON2 about 12 years ago and I just checked, they are still going.
I would love to join some MOD games. There are so many that where finished so late, that they where never played online.

pc.png
archiveorg.png

Reply 9 of 14, by GrampaGotTheKeys

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pnkz wrote on 2022-04-13, 16:45:

If anyone has any idea or tips, let me know, thanks!

I take it you've already messed with CFG settings?
Otherwise here's some great suggestions to help get some FPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1A16NyrEI

Reply 10 of 14, by pnkz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-04-15, 00:26:

Not a weird limitation when it happened at a time when Valve were integrating communication features when there were enough commonly powerful hardware to no longer need a low resolution in 2003.

Understandable, just thinking about that forcing higher than in-game selectable resolutions isn't a problem, would be nice if the other way worked too.

Robertkopp wrote on 2022-04-15, 10:42:

Yes I was thinking about the non steam version. I was still playing on 1.5 and other mods on WON2 about 12 years ago and I just checked, they are still going.
I would love to join some MOD games. There are so many that where finished so late, that they where never played online.

Yeah, I got 1.5 too now and that works fine on the non-Steam version.
Also you're right about the mods, that's a shame.

GrampaGotTheKeys wrote on 2022-04-15, 21:11:

I take it you've already messed with CFG settings?
Otherwise here's some great suggestions to help get some FPS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1A16NyrEI

Thanks for the suggestion, the performance isn't as big of a problem really, got a few of the more common config tweaks also. Just wanted to try to combine all the "best" things into one.

Reply 11 of 14, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My first thought concerning Half-Life 1 is always "why do you torture yourself with the disgusting Steam version?". What is wrong with the original Sierra published version on CD-ROM?

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-04-19, 10:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 12 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
notsofossil wrote on 2022-04-18, 04:55:

What is wrong with the original Sierra published version on CD-ROM?

The original frontend menu system is duct-taped and requires luck for it not breaking. The Steam version marked the first time Half-Life didn't spontaneously combust once you've alt-tabbed or got focus-stolen.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-04-19, 10:16. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thread cleanup. Stay on topic. To discuss crappy game launchers and DRM then start a new thread.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline