Xcom (for DOS)

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 48, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
XcomGUI wrote on 2023-09-15, 17:15:

Could be. Unless you have changed the memory manager settings to use an internal allocator, it relies on djgpp/dpmi/dos to allocate the memory, and dynamically allocates the RAM with malloc/realloc/free. If you open the process explorer, you can observe the memory usage on the xcom process itself. If you see it crashing after reaching certain treshold, then its indeed due to the memory system. If the crash is not related to memory utilization, then it related to a bug in the code. Currently HDPMI32i.EXE and CWSDPMI.EXE can be used with XCOM. Last time i have checked it, neither of them supported swap files (despite cwsdpmi officially says it supports it - it doesnt) so swapping is not possible for now.

So, I haven't used DOS as main OS for more than two decades, but I correctly remember that there were some problems with its RAM management. And, yes, still there's info that HIMEM in DOS 7.10 has some bug that limits usable memory to 64 MB. I have to try alternatives to HIMEM+EMM386 memory management - maybe JEMMEX or UMBPCI.

Just tried again to reproduce the same crash conditions with no success. Xcom's process explorer shows memory usage of below 10 MB. Maybe it was some momentary instability of my test system.

I intentionally did it like this way. I don't like if things randomly pop out as you hover around.

It's not needed on hover to open all the submenus from the menu item pointed with mouse pointer, but just one more level in submenu if there's any. Users can't bother to remember which thing is in which exact (sub)menu 😀 But in the end it's only yours design and decision.

This system is designed for unix like systems, but so far only the dos version is available. Shutdown is supposed to turn off the computer by executing the command "halt", or "reboot" in the case you want to reboot the computer. If your system lacks these (and a pure dos lacks them) then it will simply quit from the software. Currently this is disabled under DOS. I am going to notice this proposal, and I am going to modify the code to call halt and reboot even under dos, but you will need to get a halt.exe and a reboot.exe in your DOS directory to get the desired functionality.

Actually reboot from Xcom's Menu works natively with this Win98 DOS version 7.10 on my system with AT-PSU powered board.

Some potential GUI bugs: I test Xcom with 800x600 display resolution and when I choose "Generate walpaper" in "Desktop settings" after quit and restart of Xcom it is always with activated "Mosaic" option in these settings. Also "Manual" checkbox always resets to "Auto" in "Display resolution" even if it was saved.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 42 of 48, by XcomGUI

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2023, sept 20. - Hotfix release

-Fixed escape key interaction with right click menus
-Right clicking in right click local menus will open the menu element (requested by analog_programmer).
-Shutdown and reboot commands are now executed when requested in the DOS version (reported by analog_programmer).
-Fixed Manual and Automatic aspect ratio/resolution radio button status (reported by analog_programmer).

analog_programmer wrote on 2023-09-15, 08:29:

Also it will be nice if mouse right click works as left click on items of already opened by left click context menu.

Implemented.

"Quit" and "Shutdown" in "(Start) Menu/Exit" do the same - exit to DOS prompt.

Now it calls halt and reboot properly (but requires a halt.com and a reboot.com to work).

I think, DOS version of Xcom has its potential to be something like better Win3.x 😀

Now its at least 500% better. I measured it 😁

Some potential GUI bugs: I test Xcom with 800x600 display resolution and when I choose "Generate walpaper" in "Desktop settings" after quit and restart of Xcom it is always with activated "Mosaic" option in these settings.

Can not reproduce the bug.

Also "Manual" checkbox always resets to "Auto" in "Display resolution" even if it was saved.

The bug got fixed.

XCOM GUI system:
http://xcom.infora.hu

Reply 44 of 48, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
XcomGUI wrote on 2023-09-20, 14:28:
2023, sept 20. - Hotfix release […]
Show full quote

2023, sept 20. - Hotfix release

-Fixed escape key interaction with right click menus
-Right clicking in right click local menus will open the menu element (requested by analog_programmer).
-Shutdown and reboot commands are now executed when requested in the DOS version (reported by analog_programmer).
-Fixed Manual and Automatic aspect ratio/resolution radio button status (reported by analog_programmer).

Great job, XcomGUI! Yesterday I tested this last release and all is as it's was described. I have to find HALT.COM to test shutdown functionality, but I can guarantee that restart works "out of the box" with Win98SE's MS-DOS 7.10.

But this bug persists:

XcomGUI wrote on 2023-09-20, 14:28:

Some potential GUI bugs: I test Xcom with 800x600 display resolution and when I choose "Generate wallpaper" in "Desktop settings" after quit and restart of Xcom it is always with activated "Mosaic" option in these settings.

Can not reproduce the bug.

I can make some pictures with additional explainations, if it will be of use.

Also I have spotted a couple of bugs when I use Xcom with keyboard navigation only i.e. no mouse, but dont't know if they'll be of interest to be fixed.

It's strange to me that a lot of people here seems to try Xcom, but don't test or report for bugs and we can't help with anything else if the software isn't open source. I regret for not being able to try Xcom on my 386SX-40 machine as I have only 4 MB EDO RAM for it and it looks like the full 16 MB supported by 386SX will be needed for Xcom. It's extremely difficult for me to find 4 modules of 4 MB 30 pin SIMM EDO/FP RAM at a reasonable price. Currently the oldest technology configuration I can test on Xcom is Pentium 100 (P54) with 16 MB PC66 SDRAM. For an adequate comparison with Win3.xx I would really need to try Xcom on 386SX machine. So far Win3.1 is winning in terms of hardware - needs minimum of 1MB RAM to start, but in terms of built-in functionalities and interface Xcom just wipes out every Win version prior Win95 and in certain aspects even the original first 95 release.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 46 of 48, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
igna78 wrote on 2024-04-28, 16:35:

A lot of time has passed since the last news given by the author of Xcom, the website is now unreachable: what happened?

I think nobody here knows what happened. The Xcom's site just disappeared from the web space a coupule of months ago.

Reply 48 of 48, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on Yesterday, 10:11:
igna78 wrote on 2024-04-28, 16:35:

A lot of time has passed since the last news given by the author of Xcom, the website is now unreachable: what happened?

I think nobody here knows what happened. The Xcom's site just disappeared from the web space a coupule of months ago.

Only, I hope that Xcom Author be well
Thank you very much for Xcom 🤞😉