VOGONS

First post, by viper32cm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I learned today that Falcon 3.0 was sold retail in various forms until 1998, approximately 7 years after its initial release. Falcon 3.0 is one of my all time favorite games, but I don't recall seeing much of it past 1995 or 1996 when the last copies of Falcon Gold left store shelves in my area. From what I've seen on ebay there was a cd-rom "classics" version of the game sold and then a version sold in a Microprose bundle called "Conquer the Skies" along with Gunship 2000, Fleet Defender, and 1942: The Pacific Air War. The Microprose bundle was released in 1997, which is a very late release for any of those games, all of which are fine on a 386-33 or better. I know that the later Pentiums that were sold new in 1997 are way too fast for Falcon 3.0, which makes the bundle seem a bit odd and makes me think that Microprose would have been wise to have addressed any speed sensitivity issues.

Does anyone know if any of the later releases of Falcon 3.0 fixed the speed sensitivity issues?

Reply 2 of 2, by doshea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wasn't aware of the speed issue but I'm not sure when I last tried it on real hardware. I had a quick look at some README files for patches and didn't see anything obvious about a fix for that. There is a capture of ftp.microprose.com on the Internet Archive which seems to contain quite a number of the patches if you want to do some research yourself. I think I have other copies of the patches elsewhere if you can't find them all there.