VOGONS

First post, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
Lately I bought quite a few classic Sega PC games while they are still affordable:
-Sonic CD (The “rare” dino2D release, which is the most common one here in Brazil)
-Virtua Fighter PC
-Virtua Fighter 2

Believe it or not, Sonic CD ran well on my Slot A Athlon 750mhz (thunderbird) with Windows 98, for me the major drawback of this release is that it runs at 30fps, something that can be fixed by using the debug mode and setting the framerate to 60. Another issue was that the joystick refused to work (well, it DID work, but it kept pushing left, tried with a gravis gamepad and a sidewinder gamepad, same issue) so I had to use a keymapper program.
Virtua Fighter 2 also ran quite fine with the D3D patch and framerate was also stable at 60fps, the Sidewinder also worked beautifully with it.
Then there is Virtua Fighter PC… the game runs ALMOST perfect, it runs at 30fps (which is how the game should run), but there is an issue: The game starts the first round incredibly fast and the speed stabilizes after a few seconds.
Then the speed stays stable until I lose a match. After I pick a character, the game starts really fast again for a few seconds (enough time to the CPU kick my a** and win the first round sometimes), and stabilizes again to the correct speed at 30fps.
Does anyone knows if this problem can be fixed? Any suggestions on what I should try?
Thanks as always.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 3 of 5, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ArhumMK wrote on 2023-07-15, 10:45:

Sorry for replying to such an old post but I wanted to ask what specifically is causing this speedup issue and why DxWnd specifically fixes this? Is there any way to fix it via dgvoodo?

Maybe the FPS. dgVoodoo2 should also fix this, but maybe you'll need a FPS limiter on it too, like MSI Afterburner to limit it to 30 (I don't remember if dgVoodoo2 has a 30FPS frame limiter, half-Vsync?)

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Modern video card drivers from AMD and nVidia do have options to limit the frame rate as well.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 5, by ArhumMK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a more reliable fix that should work with other games with similar issues. DDrawCompat v0.40 introduces configuration options accessible via Shift+F11 which you can then export to a .ini file stored at the game directory.

Attachments

• image.png
    Filename
    image.png
    File size
    183.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception