VOGONS

First post, by ciornyi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey retro community

Im just curious because i never installed DOS in proper way and more likely i will never get a chance to get copy . Maybe only if MS decide to make "remaster " versions as they do with games analogy.

DOS: 166mmx/16mb/Y719/S3virge
DOS/95: PII333/128mb/AWE64/TNT2M64
Win98: P3_900/256mb/SB live/3dfx V3
Win Me: Athlon 1700+/512mb/Audigy2/Geforce 3Ti200
Win XP: E8600/4096mb/SB X-fi/HD6850

Reply 1 of 12, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you mean doing a full install versus just copying files off a boot floppy. Then the full install will include a bunch of utilities that helped the usability of the system back when it was the primary system someone used.

If you are only booting to DOS for games, then you probably won't see much benefit.

Reply 2 of 12, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SScorpio wrote on 2022-05-07, 18:49:

If you mean doing a full install versus just copying files off a boot floppy. Then the full install will include a bunch of utilities that helped the usability of the system back when it was the primary system someone used.

If you are only booting to DOS for games, then you probably won't see much benefit.

This.

It also includes a help file containing detailed information around the commands and utilities that came with a proper DOS installation.

The close thing to "remastering" the actual MS-DOS would be waiting for Microsoft to release the source code for later versions and building the components from there.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The original disks pop up on eBay all the time.

And there are other places to get disk images for recovery purposes.

But if you are copying DOS off a machine that has all the files, then there is no real need to have original install disks.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 12, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If only someone could have tweeted microsoft into open-sourcing DOS 6.22. But even if they did there are a bunch of things licensed from 3rd parties they couldn't open source. I think Memmaker or some part of it comes from Helix, MSAV and probably some other bits from Symmantec, DoubleSpace from Vertisoft. Though I guess they could release the encumbered bits as freeware and opensource the rest.

I'm kind of surprised that the price of MS-DOS 6.22 on ebay is higher than almost nothing but for someone with US$ to spend who doesn't live on the other side of the world I don't imagine its expensive to buy. You should be able to get it as an OEM bundle with Windows for Workgroups v3.11 (11 disks IIRC) which may better value for money. There doesn't exist a regular retail version of DOS 6.22 - only the upgrade box which I'm not sure you can install on a blank hard disk.

Reply 5 of 12, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
davidrg wrote on 2022-05-07, 22:43:

There doesn't exist a regular retail version of DOS 6.22 - only the upgrade box which I'm not sure you can install on a blank hard disk.

F3 to exit the installer, sys c:, restart the installer.

Or just buy the OEM version.

Reply 6 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless I'm after the complete feel of Dos/Win3x PC I prefer the cut down method of format c:/s then copying the very few files needed for a retro gaming rig .
99.9% of the files dos installed are no longer needed on a simple gaming PC.

Reply 7 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MS-DOS 6.22 upgrade was free from MS via their old FTP server.

As long as you have MS-DOS 6.0, then you can do the 6.22 upgrade for free.

In addition to that, there are ways to install the 6.22 upgrade without having 6.0 in the first place.

I forget the exact steps as it has been a while since I did that but I could write up some instructions when I get the time and if I remember.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 12, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-09, 17:10:

I forget the exact steps as it has been a while since I did that but I could write up some instructions when I get the time and if I remember.

I wrote them two posts prior.

Reply 9 of 12, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just boot off a bootable DOS floppy with CDROM support.
Then fdisk and format the C partition.
Then I copy everything on the bootable floppy to the C drive.
# A:\xcopy *.* c:\

And last Sys the C drive
# sys c:

Reboot.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2022-05-12, 11:43. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 10 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sunoo wrote on 2022-05-09, 17:59:
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-09, 17:10:

I wrote them two posts prior.

Hah... I fail at reading. Thanks.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 12, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All DOS is copyable. Hey all non NT Windowses before 95 are also just copyable.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 12 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyberdyne wrote on 2022-05-10, 00:05:

All DOS is copyable. Hey all non NT Windowses before 95 are also just copyable.

Aghhhh... The driver horror.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK