VOGONS

First post, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just picked up both Quake & Quake II physical discs and am trying to get both working in Legacy Windows 98se.

Rig Specs: Win 98se. Voodoo3 3000. Soundblaster Pro 2.0. Pentium III @ 600Mhz. 256 MB RAM.

Issues:

Quake - As soon as I start the game it appears to run fine. If I go into the settings it starts acting weird right away. It gets progessively slower, to a crawl, and I have to exit the game. If I skip settings and go straight in the game, the first thing I notice is no music. The sound fx work fine. After a few seconds though I start to get a weird audio chopping noise, and the game quickly slows to a crawl and I have to exit.

I tried installing via DOS and Windows. Same issue both times. Also tried installing via GLQuake, and running GLQuake.exe from the Windows install. Same issue.

I noticed recently on startup of my PC, that on boot I am now getting a set blaster message on the console before windows loads. I'm wondering if I need to setup my audio card for Quake. I can't find any type of setup menu though to configure my audio before launching the game.

Probably also worth noting that my soundcard drivers are up to date, I have like 50 other games that run fine. Also, this must be a later revision of Quake. I tried to patch the game but it installs v1.8 from the disc. The disc also has some readme info that mentions dosbox. So that leads me to believe this is not the original release. Could be wrong on that.

Quake II - Appears to run fine but appears to be lagging when I walk. Like every 3 steps it slows slightly. Appears to run fine if I stand still. Curious if I just need to tweak some options, but so far nothing has helped.

Reply 1 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS Quake doesn't use any kind of setup for the sound card, it just requries the BLASTER environment variable to be set for SB cards. It also seems that your Quake copy doesn't have any CD soundtrack for music.

Lastly, I don't recommend the SBPro2 on such fast computer as you will run into problems such as the one you mentioned.

Last edited by Gmlb256 on 2022-05-16, 12:27. Edited 1 time in total.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 10, by moknok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

in game sound and video options
both games have official old patches applied? If any patches exist.

if not

tweak voodoo with the 3dfx tools app, turn off or on vsync etc. etc.

| WIN98SE non OEM | PII MMX | 350Mhz | 384RAM | Voodoo3 2000 PCI | DX7 | 126GB+ | Yamaha DS-XG Sound |

Reply 3 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

To troubleshoot I would run both Quake 1 and Quake 2 Windows versions in Windows, not the DOS ver.
Also begin with running both in software mode.
For Quake 1 if you are using winquake then try the compatibility switches https://github.com/id-Software/Quake/blob/mas … ke/wqreadme.txt
Try reducing or increasing sound acceleration in Windows

For updates the last official update for Quake 2 was v3.20f, the last unofficial was v3.24 (unknown if this one works on 9x, I have 2000 w/BWC listed)

If you want to try ports you can try the following but I want to say they are either OpenGL or software, no glide:

Quake 1
DarkPlaces 3-28-2011 beta 2 (Will likely be sloooooow)
FTEQW 6202
ProQuake 4.93
Qbism Super8 v2.88
TyrQuake 0.66
Quakespasm 0.90.1
Check this thread for Quakespasm if you have issues: Re: Quake equivalent of Hammer of Thyrion

Quake 2
AprQ2 v1.211
FTEQW 6202
KmQuake2 0.20 update 6

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 10, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:

I think I have the games running smoothly. I had to turn off Disc Audio in Quake II (cause there's no audio), and I tweaked Quake 1 and it seems to be running OK except the missing audio making the game stutter.

How does this work?

Everything I read relates to posts on Steam. Do I need to download the soundtrack for each game somewhere, and burn them like audio CDs, then simply insert them into the CD tray while I boot the game(s).

Reply 5 of 10, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you actually have the original discs of these games, does your CD drive has an audio connector that goes to the sound card?

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 10, by jforrest1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-17, 02:35:

If you actually have the original discs of these games, does your CD drive has an audio connector that goes to the sound card?

Yes, its connected. I remember having to set it up to get Tomb Raider to work. I explored the Quake 1 disc, I am not seeing any audio tracks. Just sound fx tracks.

Reply 7 of 10, by moknok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jforrest1980 wrote on 2022-05-17, 01:18:
Update: […]
Show full quote

Update:

I think I have the games running smoothly. I had to turn off Disc Audio in Quake II (cause there's no audio), and I tweaked Quake 1 and it seems to be running OK except the missing audio making the game stutter.

How does this work?

Everything I read relates to posts on Steam. Do I need to download the soundtrack for each game somewhere, and burn them like audio CDs, then simply insert them into the CD tray while I boot the game(s).

Many old CDROM game music won't work with newer cdrom players. Old CD ROM players had an audio cable going out the back connected to motherboard sound or sound card. I'm sure there is a post here on vogons explaining this. Maybe you can even emulate this now.

| WIN98SE non OEM | PII MMX | 350Mhz | 384RAM | Voodoo3 2000 PCI | DX7 | 126GB+ | Yamaha DS-XG Sound |

Reply 8 of 10, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you've got a genuine Quake/Quake II CD, those will even play in a regular CD-Player. I'll assume you don't have one, so just open the player bundled with Windows through Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Media -> CD-Player. Track 01 is game data, all the other tracks will be the music for the game. If you can't hear anything when playing tracks 02 -> x, then either you're muted (check your volume settings), or your CD-audio cable is not plugged in (or is plugged into the wrong header). If you don't have tracks other than 01, then you've fuzzed up your CDs I'm afraid...

edit: If playing the music with CD-Player works, but the drive is making a ton of noise (aka spinning faster than at 1x rate), you've probably enabled digital audio playback for the drive, which you'll want to turn off. Rarely have I seen it on Win 98-era stuff, but I think it was possible if you had a very late modern drive...

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 10 of 10, by moknok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I never played Quake 2 with CD music 🙁 (steam version). I couldn't imagine playing Half-Life the first time without it!