VOGONS

First post, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mean some unofficial version of IE6 for win 9x that has fixes, and support new things that microsoft never did.

Not that I want to use internet on win 9x, I know there are better alternatives like firefox, seamonkey, kmeleon. I was just curious as IE6 despite being a flop, is a historical and nostalgic part of our lives.

I know there are javascripts like csspie that add and fix a lot of things, but I was wondering if anyone ever developed a binary or something for IE6 that was better than the original/official version. In my searches, I only found crappy browsers that are just a shell for IE6

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, you are best off with a proxy so then you can use any browser you want.

As far as new browsers for 9x then the only options are kernelex which may someday run a more recent browser and this chrome port for OS/2 which possible could be worked on for <XP if someone was interested: New Chromium based Otter browser for OS/2

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 3, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IE6 stopped being a relevant browser on XP over 15 years ago, you know the OS that shipped with it. Google had a project called chrome Frame that replaced the IE6 engine with the chrome engine and only worked on XP. It was never supported and was killed off so long ago that the older version of chrome doesn't work any better than IE6 at this point. Even if you had XP fully patched and TLs 2.0 patched into Ie6 on XP it doesn't work for browsing. So theres no chance your idea would ever be possible even if it existed.

I mean maybe if somone could get chrome frame to run on 98 then back port some version of chrome files to run on 98 like how the 360 Explorer was made to run on XP than I could see it as possible but its not probably going to ever happen.

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rikintosh wrote on 2022-05-22, 15:56:

I mean some unofficial version of IE6 for win 9x that has fixes, and support new things that microsoft never did.

Ah, I see. You mean some sort of community maintained IE6? Possibly, not sure, though.
But Visual Basic 6 had/has such a community. They created patches and modified DLLs for VB6 runtime etc (look up "Visual Basic Community Runtime" etc).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//