First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hello all

i am been trying to get os/2 to work on dos/win3.11 build

My Socket 3 Build (DOS/WIN311)

i don't want to have os/2 folders and files mixed up with dos/win files/layout and want have it on it own partition and on keep my files/layout on dos/windows as is without changing anything

the drives layout is like this

1st hdd
OS/2 Boot Manager (At Start of HDD - 1mb)
c: - dos/windows (FAT - Primany -544mb)

2nd hdd (CF Card)
d: - Games (FAT - logical - 2gb)
e: - Tools/programs (FAT - logical - 1.3 ish gb)
f: - OS/2 (HPFS - logical - 700mb)

methods i have tried
- i installed os/2 on the same partition where dos/win is install and it work no probs
- i installed os/2 on a separate partition as a logical partition on the same hdd as where dos/win partition is and works no prob (but it sees OS/2 as the d drive)
- i have tried to install os/2 on the second hdd (cf card) as logical partition and it starts to install and after reboot to finished install, all i get is blinking cursor and nothing happens

is there a way to get os/2 to boot and work properly on drive f without a blinking cursor and it does the same with os/2 2.0, 2.1, 3.0 connect

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2022-06-19, 21:27. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Might be the size of the CF card - IIRC OS/2 Warp 4 doesn't like disks larger than around 2GB without updating the drivers on the installation floppies. Warp 3 may be similar, OS/2 2.x is smaller - somewhere around the 500MB mark I think. Also possible OS/2 doesn't like being installed on a logical partition.

Might be worth trying to install to a small primary partition at the start of the 2nd hdd and see if that works. I think OS/2 will also always see your DOS/Windows partition as drive 'C' and its own partition as something else due to it enumerating partitions in a similar way to DOS - first partition on the first drive gets drive C.

Reply 2 of 4, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
davidrg wrote on 2022-06-19, 00:14:

Might be the size of the CF card - IIRC OS/2 Warp 4 doesn't like disks larger than around 2GB without updating the drivers on the installation floppies. Warp 3 may be similar, OS/2 2.x is smaller - somewhere around the 500MB mark I think. Also possible OS/2 doesn't like being installed on a logical partition.

Might be worth trying to install to a small primary partition at the start of the 2nd hdd and see if that works. I think OS/2 will also always see your DOS/Windows partition as drive 'C' and its own partition as something else due to it enumerating partitions in a similar way to DOS - first partition on the first drive gets drive C.

I have made os/2 partition 700mb (updated the original post to reflect it) and set drive f as installable and the boot manager is set to startable and the layout of drive stays the way I want to but when reboots to continue the install, it just show a blinking cursor and no os/2 name appear in top left but the boot manager sees it

If I move the os/2 partition to the start of second hdd and change it to primary, would that make it drive d as I would keep my drive d for games as dos and windows points there for them but will give a go, finger crossed it works

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2022-06-19, 17:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 4, by mR_Slug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even like OS/2 2.0 can install to a logical partition.

Having said that OS/2 is finkery. I think I would get DOS installed, then OS/2 then setup other partitions. You may also have a CHS/LBA issue, as well as size issues. I dont recall if OS/2 or what version supported LBA.

The Retro Web | EISA .cfg Archive | Chip set Encyclopedia

Reply 4 of 4, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try both ways from davidrg and mR_Slug but unfortunately same thing after it reboots from installing the basic files to continue the installation and configuration - all that happens is blinking cursor - seem that os/2 doesn't like to booted from slave drive and can't seem see a way to even change the install directory where it wants to a single folder like dos or windows