VOGONS

First post, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi, can we collect better textures or hires textures as upgrade for the original game-engine, so it could be played on the same machine as it came out.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 1 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only fitting example (hi-res + original engine + old machine) I can think of are S3TC texture packs for UnrealEngine1 games for MetalDrv and donhal's D3D/GL renderers. Anything else gets into modern source ports / modern API wrapper hijack territory.

"Better" is also quite subjective too...
Dp9fHL2UwAAUYDL?format=jpg&name=small

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gunman Chronicle HD Pack.
This is it, I use some from existing pack of other authors and carefully add them, you don't need Xash3d to play.
Enable "r_detailtextures 1" in console. All missions in-game and default multiplayer maps are included.
Also, I recommend using Half Life HD pack to cover some missing HD textures.

https://gamebanana.com/mods/download/355598#FileInfo_742314

Reply 3 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote on 2022-07-24, 19:12:
The only fitting example (hi-res + original engine + old machine) I can think of are S3TC texture packs for UnrealEngine1 games […]
Show full quote

The only fitting example (hi-res + original engine + old machine) I can think of are S3TC texture packs for UnrealEngine1 games for MetalDrv and donhal's D3D/GL renderers. Anything else gets into modern source ports / modern API wrapper hijack territory.

Original still looks best to me.

Gunman Chronicles was great I liked this game.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 4 of 11, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-07-24, 19:12:
The only fitting example (hi-res + original engine + old machine) I can think of are S3TC texture packs for UnrealEngine1 games […]
Show full quote

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha !!!!
Wow that pic made me rly lough hard!
Thanks for it.

Reply 6 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

RE4 is DX9 P4 WIN2K, I should have been more spefic to win9x games from around 1998-2003 that will run on a P3-Tualatin. (I am checking different PCI gfx-cards on this).

Reply 9 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Halflife1 can be updated with blue-shift, I have to check that. I did not get gunman HD-Textures to work...I think placing that line in config.cfg is the wrong way.

Reply 10 of 11, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

what is the best texture pack for the original halflife1 (no steam, no Xash3d) , I already installed HL1 updated to 1110 and installed opposing force and blueshift with high definition pack. I only need some better textures. thx!