VOGONS

First post, by Beanie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi people,

Just have a question thats been wrecking my head..

Im having this issue that no Virtual drives (daemon tools) and USBs will not mount or be given a drive letter.

I have installed all the needed drivers including the nusb36e driver , formatted and reinstalled (win98) a few times.. to just check if it was a crap install

In device man all the right things are coming up like (DVD rom and usb disk etc) that seem to be added when deamon tools is installed and when a usb is plugged in just the lack of allocating a drive letter

So out of ideas please help!!

Bean

Reply 3 of 9, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try the USB drivers I've attached. I have 100% success using it in Windows 95B/95C/98/98SE (Windows ME has a built-in driver), and it's only a fraction of the size of the nusb36e driver package.

Attachments

Reply 4 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to confirm for daemon tools the latest version is 3.47
It should just behave exactly as a normal optical drive where you can assign drive letters via device manager and see it in My Computer even if no iso is loaded.

Only thing I can think of is if the iso is on the USB stick which is also playing up? maybe try copying it to the HDD first?

Reply 5 of 9, by Beanie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-03, 03:00:

Try the USB drivers I've attached. I have 100% success using it in Windows 95B/95C/98/98SE (Windows ME has a built-in driver), and it's only a fraction of the size of the nusb36e driver package.

Thanks for that ill give it a go. =)

chinny22 wrote on 2022-08-03, 06:34:

Just to confirm for daemon tools the latest version is 3.47
It should just behave exactly as a normal optical drive where you can assign drive letters via device manager and see it in My Computer even if no iso is loaded.

Only thing I can think of is if the iso is on the USB stick which is also playing up? maybe try copying it to the HDD first?

Yeah its 3.47 - I can see within device manager it made a "cd-rom" but when i look at drive letter its blank (ive tried picking first and last letter and rebooting)

All emulations are on with Daemon tool and a iso is picked from c: not the usb as i have the same problem of it not creating a viewable mounted drive.

Its doing my head in 🤣

If it means anything im using a CF to IDE at a HDD but im not having issues with anything else (windows games play fine via cd or copied on to the cf)

Thanks people

Reply 8 of 9, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You may have some luck with this tool, Letter Assigner. It's another way to assign and unassign drive letters under 98SE. It can be found online but a copy is attached as well.

Letter Assigner v1.2.0, Freeware
Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Vadim Burtyansky

Attachments

Reply 9 of 9, by Beanie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2022-08-03, 16:52:

What happens when Daemon Tools isn't installed? What chipset are you running? Do you have the requisite drivers installed i.e., VIA 4-in-1, Intel INF, etc.?

Have you tried installing Windows ME?

Still the same with it uninstalled. 440LX chipset and current driver is installed .

No have not tried ME yet.

Cosmic wrote on 2022-08-04, 01:36:

You may have some luck with this tool, Letter Assigner. It's another way to assign and unassign drive letters under 98SE. It can be found online but a copy is attached as well.

Letter Assigner v1.2.0, Freeware
Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Vadim Burtyansky

I did try this it didnt come up with any drives that im taking about =)