VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't find any search results on vogons about umbpci specifically causing games not to run, only posts saying it works.
After running around 10 different games I've come across a game that doesn't work with umbpci .sys loaded.
'Cadaver - the payoff'. With umbpci loaded the game goes to the scrolling intro screen and then pressing space bar to start the game causes a black screen crash/freeze. It works without umbpci loaded. This is in dos 6.22.

Is this a common problem with umbpci loaded? I've only used it a few months to free up more upper memory.

Reply 1 of 6, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you also try it on another Computer with umbpci loaded and reproduce the result ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder the same. UMBPCI is quite hardware-dependent, it only works with known chipsets.

"UMBPCI makes UMBs from disabled memory that is intended as Shadow-RAM. UMBPCI enables this memory and disables its write protection. "

But that doesn't correctly work on all hardware.
486 era VIP (VLB/ISA/PCI) motherboards are know to be troublesome, if memory serves.

https://www.uwe-sieber.de/umbpci_e.html

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Riikcakirds wrote on 2022-08-04, 16:52:
I can't find any search results on vogons about umbpci specifically causing games not to run, only posts saying it works. Afte […]
Show full quote

I can't find any search results on vogons about umbpci specifically causing games not to run, only posts saying it works.
After running around 10 different games I've come across a game that doesn't work with umbpci .sys loaded.
'Cadaver - the payoff'. With umbpci loaded the game goes to the scrolling intro screen and then pressing space bar to start the game causes a black screen crash/freeze. It works without umbpci loaded. This is in dos 6.22.

Is this a common problem with umbpci loaded? I've only used it a few months to free up more upper memory.

Which regions of the UMA specifically do you have UMBPCI enabling?

Reply 4 of 6, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-08-04, 20:32:
Riikcakirds wrote on 2022-08-04, 16:52:
I can't find any search results on vogons about umbpci specifically causing games not to run, only posts saying it works. Afte […]
Show full quote

Which regions of the UMA specifically do you have UMBPCI enabling?

Stepping through config.sys, umbpci displays the message:
Umbpci V3.90
Using - CC00-DFFF
Chipset 430FX.

From the above than range is around 80KB
Another problem I noticed, playing the game (by not loading umbpci) and then exiting to dos by pressing cntrl+c. Then in dos just typing a few dos command like MEM will crash Dos itself. Pretty strange, never seen a problem like this before.

Reply 5 of 6, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Riikcakirds wrote on 2022-08-13, 13:52:
Stepping through config.sys, umbpci displays the message: Umbpci V3.90 Using - CC00-DFFF Chipset 430FX. […]
Show full quote

Stepping through config.sys, umbpci displays the message:
Umbpci V3.90
Using - CC00-DFFF
Chipset 430FX.

I think that's not correct range for 430XX, 80kb seems too much for this chipset. I'll check later on my retro rig what's the working range and will post when I get back home from work.

Reply 6 of 6, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I go with /I=E000-EFFF range in my config.sys, read somewhere before it's a safe range for 430XX chipsets and it's the only combination I had no problems with. Don't think you can squeeze more out of it. If you can, please do tell me. 😁