VOGONS

First post, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm surprised I can't find any information about this online, at least that's not in relation to setting it up on a modern PC.

I have the 1998 version of Sonic R and a Gameport joystick. The joystick is configured and working in Windows 98. Sonic R is a Windows game, so I figured it would be able to see that (and for sure, I have no problems with Sega Rally as a close comparison, or any other Windows games that support one). However, it never lets me select "Set Joystick", just skipping over it every time.
It says it supports joysticks, and I tried it with a four-button Gravis-style gamepad as well, and it also says it supports gamepads.

Anyone happen to know what I could be missing here?

Reply 1 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, did you try pressing some of the joystick buttons in that menu were “Set Joystick” appears ?
Maybe it will recognize the joystick that way, not sure.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although your joystick may be configured in Windows 98, it is possible to have issues with some software if the IRQ, ports, DMA channels, etc. are not set to "standard" Creative Labs sound card values. I used to go to great lengths to insure that this was the case on Windows 98 machines in order to avoid issues when using Sound Blaster Live! cards. This included having the sound card in a particular slot in order to guarantee access to IRQ 5.

So check what resources are being assigned to the sound card and compare them to the usual Creative Labs list of suspects.