VOGONS

First post, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Win98 machine that I am running in 1600x1200. I have made the desktop icons larger but was wondering if there is a way to make the Start Menu and Taskbar larger in size? I know you can click and drag to give it more layers but I am wanting to make it actually larger in size but still keep the same default look.

Reply 2 of 9, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is also an a DPI-like setting here: Desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > Change Small Fonts (96 DPI) to Large Fonts (120 DPI) or custom.

Here's a couple quick screenshots of these in a VM. Not the greatest demo of these options, but it helps a bunch, especially if you dial in the other theme and icon sizes.

100%

BjQO6IA.png

125%

78BBvqh.png

150%

2e920VY.png

Reply 3 of 9, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can also try applying the "Windows White (Extra Large)" theme and the Quick Launch -> View -> Large properties to make the taskbar bigger:

vSe8oPE.png

Filename
1.PNG
File size
7.46 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File license
Public domain

You can track, for example, using the RegShot program, what changes are made when applying this theme to the registry. Further modify any other theme using this knowledge. Save as a new theme.

There should also be special programs for creating / modifying themes and generally designing as a whole.
attachment%5D

Reply 4 of 9, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DoZator wrote on 2022-09-07, 17:58:
You can also try applying the "Windows White (Extra Large)" theme and the Quick Launch -> View -> Large properties to make the t […]
Show full quote

You can also try applying the "Windows White (Extra Large)" theme and the Quick Launch -> View -> Large properties to make the taskbar bigger:

vSe8oPE.png
1.PNG

You can track, for example, using the RegShot program, what changes are made when applying this theme to the registry. Further modify any other theme using this knowledge. Save as a new theme.

There should also be special programs for creating / modifying themes and generally designing as a whole.
1.PNG

Where do I find the Quick Launch settings?

Reply 5 of 9, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2022-09-07, 01:06:

Start menu thickness is linked to the size of "Caption Buttons"

Is there a setting where I can adjust this Caption Button size?

Reply 6 of 9, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fsmith2003 wrote on 2022-09-08, 02:18:
leileilol wrote on 2022-09-07, 01:06:

Start menu thickness is linked to the size of "Caption Buttons"

Is there a setting where I can adjust this Caption Button size?

It's under Display Properties under the Item drop down. Several of these options have size options that could be tweaked for better display on a large screen. I'm not sure where the mentioned Quick Launch settings are though.

Here's Caption Buttons set to 32:

jMdc9lG.png

Reply 7 of 9, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fsmith2003 wrote on 2022-09-08, 02:17:
You can also try applying the "Windows White (Extra Large)" theme and the Quick Launch -> View -> Large properties to make the t […]
Show full quote

vSe8oPE.png
1.PNG

1.PNG

Right-click on the separator bar of the "Quick Launch" panel and in the context menu that appears, hover over the item "View", a submenu will open with sub-items "Large" and "Small".

Reply 8 of 9, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DoZator wrote on 2022-09-08, 16:42:
Show full quote

vSe8oPE.png
1.PNG

1.PNG

Right-click on the separator bar of the "Quick Launch" panel and in the context menu that appears, hover over the item "View", a submenu will open with sub-items "Large" and "Small".

I didn't even know you could open a menu from there, haha. Thanks!

QzhK7ob.png

Reply 9 of 9, by fsmith2003

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DoZator wrote on 2022-09-08, 16:42:
Show full quote

vSe8oPE.png
1.PNG

1.PNG

Whooooaaaaaaaaaaa