VOGONS

First post, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi guys,
im looking to run a few racing games (that only support glide) on a retro machine but without a voodoo card..

i have a p933 with an nvidia fx5000 series card... think it is the 5500...
im wondering how much of a performance hit the wrapper takes on the system..
eg ... i want to play Grand Prix Legends (released nov 98) and at the time the game came out, P2 450 and voodoo2 was was the best available then early 99 the p3 500/550 and voodoo3 came out..
would a p3-933 with fx5000 card running nGlide be able to match a p3-500 with voodoo3 setup for graphical detail and frame rate?
i ask this because getting a voodoo card here in australia is no cheap and easy task whereas i already own a couple of fx era cards...
as far as i know Grand Prix Legends only runs accelerated 3d if a voodoo or verite car is in the system .. obviously meaning ati and nvidia are out..
is the performance hit nGlide takes a little or a lot?

Reply 1 of 8, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, there are D3D and OpenGL rasterizers available from Papyrus:

D3D Readme: http://web.archive.org/web/20001109171700/htt … s/readmeD3D.txt
D3D Rasterizer: http://web.archive.org/web/20001109171700/htt … ads/gpl_d3d.exe
OpenGL Rasterizer: http://web.archive.org/web/20001109171700/htt … oads/opengl.zip

The Glide rasterizer has fewer artifacts than OpenGL, but the better mirror quality makes the OpenGL worth trying in my opinion.

Note that while both the D3D and OpenGL rasterizers were provided by Papyrus, they were unsupported/beta.

Reply 2 of 8, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
akula65 wrote on 2022-09-07, 13:55:

Actually, there are D3D and OpenGL rasterizers available from Papyrus:

oh cheers, thanks for that...
do u know if there is a chance that they could also work with papyrus's indycar2 and nascar2?

Reply 3 of 8, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Copying requirements from nGlide's site:

For the most games (running at full speed) this configuration is good enough
Processor:Intel / AMD at 2.0 GHz
Graphics card:Compatible with DirectX 9.0 or Vulkan 1.0
Operating system:Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10 / 11

I'd guess that with half the speed a lot of games won't run well enough, although this is just guessing and I cannot back it up.

Reply 5 of 8, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
konc wrote on 2022-09-07, 15:32:
Copying requirements from nGlide's site: […]
Show full quote

Copying requirements from nGlide's site:

For the most games (running at full speed) this configuration is good enough
Processor:Intel / AMD at 2.0 GHz
Graphics card:Compatible with DirectX 9.0 or Vulkan 1.0
Operating system:Windows XP / 7 / 8 / 10 / 11

I'd guess that with half the speed a lot of games won't run well enough, although this is just guessing and I cannot back it up.

Played with nGlide on Athon64 3400+ and FX5900XT. Older Glide games run fine (LucasArts stuff mostly). UT99 had sam hickups in 1024x768 with AA and AF on. GeForce 6800 solved that problem 😀.
I'm not very optimistic about FX5200.

Reply 6 of 8, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kennyPENTIUMpowers wrote on 2022-09-07, 12:53:
hi guys, im looking to run a few racing games (that only support glide) on a retro machine but without a voodoo card.. […]
Show full quote

hi guys,
im looking to run a few racing games (that only support glide) on a retro machine but without a voodoo card..

i have a p933 with an nvidia fx5000 series card... think it is the 5500...
im wondering how much of a performance hit the wrapper takes on the system..
(...)

I am just about to get an FX 5500 PCI for my retro gaming rig, so I am wondering the same thing.
I will have a fairly powerful Dual-Core CPU (Intel Atom 1,8 GHz), and at least under Windows XP both cores should be available to the system.

I wonder, which Glide wrapper leans more heavily on the CPU and taxes the GPU less? There is nGlide, OpenGlide, dgVoodoo ... Which one should I use to make sure the CPU carries the most of the workload, and my feeble FX 5500 is spared as much as possible?

Reply 8 of 8, by hilram

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot, I will look into that!
Fun Fact: If Valve's Source engine detects an Nvidia FX-card, it dials back to Shader model 1.1, since FX really sucks at shader model 2.0. The FX cards are OK as long as they run in DX8.1 -mode aka Pixel Shader 1.1, which is what psVoodoo uses.

I had never heard of psVoodoo before. Looking forward to try!