VOGONS

First post, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have a download for this? I can’t seem to find it anywhere. I did find ONE download for it on this forum, but it was an “evaluation copy” and is missing the PCMSS.exe file (when restarting the machine after installation it says it can’t find it).

I don’t know why these PCMCIA utilities are so hard to find!

Thank you!

Starting Windows 95. . .

Reply 2 of 5, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2022-09-21, 00:58:

Thank you! I took a look at that and it unfortunately looks like the exact version I already had, which is incomplete as far as I can tell. The PCMSS.exe is missing.

I will give it a try though.

Starting Windows 95. . .

Reply 3 of 5, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see that link has some hosed files with a 404. Here are the drivers for that same laptop. Tested the download and it all checks out. Just unzip and go to the PCMCIA folder. You'll find all the files intact there. Cheers!

https://www.helpdrivers.com/notebooks/Gericom … rie/Asus_P6300/

Reply 4 of 5, by Zack_H

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2022-09-21, 01:50:

I see that link has some hosed files with a 404. Here are the drivers for that same laptop. Tested the download and it all checks out. Just unzip and go to the PCMCIA folder. You'll find all the files intact there. Cheers!

https://www.helpdrivers.com/notebooks/Gericom … rie/Asus_P6300/

Excellent. Will give this a try. Thanks!

Starting Windows 95. . .

Reply 5 of 5, by brain_recall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was just running into this same issue on a TI TravelMate 5000 laptop, where I also could not find PCMSS.exe.

I think the installer is supposed to identify what PCMCIA controller you have, and rename one of the various exe's included with the installer to PCMSS.exe, but either it's broken or doesn't exactly match one of your controllers.

In my case, the installer found I had a Cirrus Logic controller, so I guessed either PCMSSCL9.exe or PCMSSCL2.exe was the one I needed. I just ran them from the DOS prompt, and in my case PCMSSCL2.exe didn't complain, so I copied it and renamed it PCMSS.exe.

After that, all the rest of the drivers worked fine and it was able to identify the CompactFlash adapter card. In my case, though, the system would lock up when I tried to access it. I found a setting in the BIOS called "PCMCIA Resources", and I changed it from its default "Minimum" to "Maximum" and the card started working great. A nice way to get files on and off this laptop with no CD drive!

People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms