VOGONS

First post, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking for alternatives to ThrottleStop like software for XP.
I don't touch these older computers enough to remember things, I just don't remember things...

So I've used version 600 on a Xeon 5600 system running XP that I've had a long time. It works fine, however over time the TS menu blanks. Clicking blindly works and restarting TS clears it up. Over a long long idle of days, the whole screen turns into a menu colored blank. Various ways to fight and recover, and just now I connected the flaw to ThrottleStop.

I have a gap of knowledge, and never really messed with clocks once sufficient power was used. I use this buggy laptop focused software since it's goal was in the right direction to run cool and it works great. I have used bios control to limit clock and disable turbo, but at times like now I could allow some space heater action, so having the full range of live options is better than fixed bios options.

The cpu's are X5687's and satisfies my game play anywhere from idle 1.6GHz to ~2.4GHz. The main issue really is the fact that many games will hold the clocked maxed out for no good reason. Real Applications that I do use the computer for properly use the 'Throttle' and jaunts to 3.9GHz don't heat soak like games do.

Generally XP doesn't seem to ever let the cpu's idle like how Throttlestop can allow. Without anything the clock bounces with real use in the 2-3.GHz+ range and it's fine, and I'd say snappier than with ThrottleStop running, so one option is to fire up TS only for a game. Seems backwards to throttle for games! But I'd think it's beneficial to help windows gauge need with something like TS that doesn't flake out with extended use.

Any suggestions?

I used to know what I was doing...