VOGONS

First post, by CelticDubstep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm the sole IT person at my company and will likely be so for an extremely long time. I have a lot of projects & tasks (aka tickets) "in my head" that I'm working on, but would like to actually have a system to interface with. As being the sole IT person and a small company, we don't have the budget for software or cloud based solutions (which often require an X amount of users min plus up front annual payment) and I haven't found a free solution I like such as osTicket, JIRA, RequestTracker, etc.

Any fellow IT folks here know of any "vintage" ITSM software that you used to use back in the 80's, 90's, or even 2000's? The only one that comes to mind is Remedy which I used back in 2000's when I was working on tickets with the NOC. The other companies I worked with at the time used a in-house written program/web application & I'm not a developer so I wouldn't even know where to start. So, I'm hoping there is some old legacy software I can pick up off eBay or Archive.org and throw in a Windows NT/98/DOS virtual machine for my own personal use. One company I worked for used an AS/400 system which I loved and could type in commands faster than the system would process them and includes an area for notes and whatnot.

Anyway, figured this could be a fun little project while also helping me out at the office. I pretty much work autonomously so it's pretty much at my own discretion.

Thanks in advance

Reply 2 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelticDubstep wrote on 2022-11-17, 22:18:

I'm the sole IT person at my company and will likely be so for an extremely long time. I have a lot of projects & tasks (aka tickets) "in my head" that I'm working on, but would like to actually have a system to interface with. As being the sole IT person and a small company, we don't have the budget for software or cloud based solutions (which often require an X amount of users min plus up front annual payment) and I haven't found a free solution I like such as osTicket, JIRA, RequestTracker, etc.

Have you tried Redmine?

It's free and open source. In the past, I have used it for the purposes that you describe and it worked well enough. Not exactly legacy software though.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 10, by CelticDubstep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-11-17, 22:29:
CelticDubstep wrote on 2022-11-17, 22:18:

Have you tried Redmine?

It's free and open source. In the past, I have used it for the purposes that you describe and it worked well enough. Not exactly legacy software though.

I've tried it, but isn't really what I'm looking for, or at least not that I can figure out. I can deal with an old UI, but a new UI that's ugly and doesn't make sense drives me insane. It seems like it's 100% project management and 0% end user tickets. I do both, end user issues that may need follow up, but also projects that require many steps and tasks to complete.

Reply 5 of 10, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Our company wrote a cloud Ticketing/RMM tool and there is a free version with ticketing if that interests you.

https://bluetrait.io/tickets

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 6 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Honestly if the company doesn't want to invest a small amount into a modern ticketing system, I would just throw a shared excel file in something like google docs.
Not your problem to come up with a magical solution to an otherwise easily solvable issue.

Reply 7 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not exactly the answer your asking for but when I started working in 99, or was it 2000? Whatever
Anyway first 3 companies I worked for just used Outlook tasks. Plenty of our customers with small internal IT teams still do.

Reply 8 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

iTop is probably the best free ITSM/CMDB, but it takes a lot of setting up, worth it if you want to integrate with a wider management framework like ITIL though.

We ended up using Hesk for ticketing and Snipe-IT for asset management. Took less than a day to configure both at the last place I worked at which “required” free software.

EDIT: If you end up requiring a free Security/Vulnerability SIEM toolset, try Wazuh.

Reply 9 of 10, by CelticDubstep

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2022-11-18, 08:24:

Honestly if the company doesn't want to invest a small amount into a modern ticketing system, I would just throw a shared excel file in something like google docs.
Not your problem to come up with a magical solution to an otherwise easily solvable issue.

It's not that the owner doesn't want to, it's a matter of prioritization. We have less than 30 employees but spend nearly $100,000 a year in software licensing (around $3500 or so an employee). This is why I build our own workstations, we buy used servers, etc. We spend $750 a month for 200 Mbps internet which had a 2 hour outage yesterday. Aside from the software needed for employees to work, everything is done in Excel & Word such as project tracking & scheduling, client invoicing, accounting, billing, etc. Ideally, I'd like to have RMM, Patch Management, Anti-Virus, Actual Backup Software, etc. The most I have is ScreenConnect so I can assist users when on business trips which is nearly $700 a year in itself for only me.

Reply 10 of 10, by ldeveraux

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2022-11-17, 22:24:

I wonder if there was ever a DOS based ticketing system. That would have been a real joy to use. Still probably better than Jira.

Trying to remember everything is arguably better than JIRA 😉