VOGONS

First post, by mrSoczi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! Hope it's the correct board.

I use D-Tools on my Satellite Pro 4600 with Win98 to play games stored on images. It works most of the time, but there are a lot of times that games do not recognize the mounted image as a CD and still ask for the CD to be inserted into to the physical drive. I have a working DVD-ROM on my laptop.
A lot of games did this to me: Command & Conquer 1, Descent II, MDK, Red Alert 2...
It's mostly DOS games. MOST Windows games do not have this problem.
I.e. Command & Conquer is completely screwed because even it's DOS based installer ran directly from the mounted image asks for the CD, so even an installation is not possible.

Does anyone know a way to fix this issue?

Thanks.

Reply 2 of 3, by mrSoczi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will just post a follow-up for anyone interested in the topic in the future:

In Win98 Device Manager I needed to switch the drive letters between the Generic drive (Daemon Tools emulated drive) and the physical drive. Just switch the letters, restart the machine and done. The games will see the image.

Reply 3 of 3, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IINM that's because the games' installer registers the drive letter of the CD drive that was used during installation in the registry. Another workaround would be to modify these, but of course it's per-game and rather tedious.