VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currently have my retro PC set up with a 3DFX Voodoo2 graphics card, works well for most things. But this pinball game, Balls of Steel doesn't seem to support it. Its auto detect feature fails to identify my graphics card, and when I try to run the game it simply says "video mode not found". If I do manual override, I can select graphics cards from a list of manufacturers and models, but 3DFX isn't even listed.

Have tested this on both Windows 95 and Windows 98 SE, neither of them work. On Windows XP the game just says Windows 95 is required to run it, changing the compatibility mode to Windows 95 doesn't resolve that.

I mainly want to get it work on Windows 98 SE, as that's what I use the most for older dos / PC games. Does anyone know if this game can work with a 3DFX card?

Reply 1 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which actual video card (not the Voodoo2) is installed on the computer? That game doesn't use any 3D acceleration hardware at all.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 4, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Be advised that there were a number of official and unofficial patches for BoS. The last official patch was Version 1.3 available here (the lower patch). Try that patch first. If that doesn't work, we can see about getting you a copy of one of the later unofficial patches from Mok.

Reply 3 of 4, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Balls of Steel is a 2D DirectDraw game and doesn't involve Glide nor 3dfx hardware in any way (unless it's Banshee/Voodoo3+ as they're proper primary videocards that can do 2D and those are a year+ after Balls of Steel)

Your primary video card is what matters here.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 4, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, made a mistake. It's a 3DFX Voodoo3 3000 card. But still, it's the only video card I have in there. Dunno what you mean with "primary" video card.

Edit: Well, the 1.3 patch fixed it. Had no idea there were any downloadable patches for this game. Did search around for that, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks a lot people