VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like to buy the Box versione of the MS-DOS 6 but i find on ebay only the box with "upgrade" "step-up" ecc...
Has a box ever been made without the words "upgrade" etc? tnks

Reply 1 of 3, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A thread on betaarchive claims Microsoft only ever provided OEM and upgrade versions of DOS - no stand alone "for PCs without DOS" release. Not sure what you'd do back then to get your hands on a copy of MS-DOS - perhaps buy an OEM copy at the same time as a sufficient quantity of parts? Or just buy DR-DOS which was available in a non-upgrade version?

Reply 3 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Imho, English language users don't really need MS-DOS 6 anymore.

MS-DOS 6.2x was often bundled with the "supplemental" diskettes, which contained all the 6.0 programs removed in 6.2x.

Rather, it were the users in other countries who had a need for old MS-DOS 6.0.

Because, these "supplemental" disks available in their countries contained English language versions of the DOS 6.0 programs merely, not the localized versions.

I can only guess, but maybe the supplemental disks were simply included in some self-extracting package from the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
So companies/OEMs had to make them themselves and bundle them with the real MS-DOS 6.2x disk set.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//