VOGONS

First post, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, sorry the bad title, i dont know how to explain very well my problem

I have some retro PCs for testing, 386SX40, IBM PS/1 486DX4-75, Celeron 333mhz and Pentium 3 1ghz, and this laptops, Toshiba 486DX4-75, Toshiba laptop Pentium 100

One thing i really like is to copy CD games like Megarace, Mad Dog McCree, Cyberia, etc to HDD to avoid using CD, and i have problems with the IBM 486. The games videos run bad, like accelerated 1 or 2 seconds, then slowdown, or freeze, etc, but works fine in other machines!

I have a 20GB 2.5" HDD i use for all test, have EZdrive overlay, but i tested other HDD and one 4GB CF

I tested the same HDD in all machines, the results

386SX40, Celeron, PIII and both laptops - Fine, all games load OK, videos OK - 0 problems

IBM PS/1 - BAD all the problems i say before

Beside this, the IBM works great, and the games from CDrom run fine

Sadly the IBM bios is HORRIBLE no options to configure, and is not possible to disable internal controller, and i dont have any ISA controller that have a secondary IDE or is possible to consigure as secondary

I dont know what else to test, any ideas are welcome!!

thanks

Reply 2 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What CD speed does the 486 have My 486 used to do that with a Creative 24x back in the day that couldn't feed the CD drive quickly enough.
You could see it, spin up write data to its internal cache, spin down while game read the cache, wait for spin up, write more data to cache, etc, etc
Forcing the drive speed to something like 4x with a tool like CDBeQuiet! may help.
https://www.dosforum.de/_sub-cdbq/